Junior insights Consultant at Black Swan Data Ltd
We Are Black Swan Data
In a world turbo-charged by social media, the old world of traditional consumer research no longer enough. Where there’s slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s continuous big data, algorithms and machine learning. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social Prediction™. Using the most sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, McDonald’s, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
Our team is at the forefront of using big/social data and data science models to answer market research briefs faster, more objectively and predicatively.
As Junior Insights Consultant, you will primarily work on market research projects answering client briefs on consumer attitudes and behaviours. Applying both quantitative and qualitative research techniques to our social datasets to analyse data, identify trends, understand consumers’ interests and present the findings. You will be responsible for supporting our Insights Consultants and Directors with these tasks across a large range of client projects. Black Swan works with a world class & rapidly growing array of clients including PepsiCo, Colgate, Danone, Diageo, Twitter and J&J, giving you exposure to world class marketers, strategists and insight professionals.
This is an opportunity to work across some really interesting client issues and expand your knowledge of how social research and data science can be used to replace traditional research approaches. You will get to experience a unique research approach which allows us to gain a truer understanding of consumers. Expect to engage in a creative research process where analytical rigour is almost equally important as curiosity about the world. You will be part of an engaging, fast-paced environment, working with a dynamic and social team.
The day to day duties of an Insights Associate are as follows:
- Taxonomy builds
- Expanding inclusion and exclusion terms from our master taxonomy around topics such as ingredients, product, brands and themes.
- Data curation and outputting
- Using Black Swan’s proprietary tools to curate datasets and run data outputs for analysis.
- Conducting both data-led and qualitative analysis.
- Ability to work with and interpret large volumes of Excel data.
- Report writing
- Succinct reporting of both data-led and qualitative analysis, identifying compelling insights that answer key business questions.
- Project delivery
- Actively participating in client and internal meetings, debriefs and presentations.
- Work as part of the team to share ideas
- Take an active role in sharing key learning and best practice both informally and in team sharing sessions.
Your Candidate Profile:
- Relevant academic or work experience in qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Interest in product innovation and new technologies.
- Interest in understanding consumer attitudes & behaviour, and wider cultural trends
- An interest in new emerging research techniques and the potential of data and technology.
- Feel comfortable and confident working with a range of stakeholders, including clients
- Confident in presenting internally.
- Skilled at working with and interpreting large volumes of Excel data.
- Skilled at using PowerPoint to present in a professional and visually compelling way.
- Ability to work both alone and collaboratively with other team members – you will partner with teams in London and New York, alongside colleagues in Cape Town.
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energised environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analytics, with challenging projects serving some of the leading Brands in each domain
Talented Teams - We hire highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development - Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable! You will benefit from our global benefits: Share options, staff referral scheme, duvet day, flexible and remote working, internal and online training initiatives, volunteering opportunities at white swan, birthday lie in, Christmas gift cards, quarterly staff events, summer hours and Flexible Leave Policy.
As well as the benefits unique to our Cape Town office - Pension & Risk benefits, medical aid contribution, enhanced maternity & paternity leave, parking, breakfast, drinks & snacks, fun Fridays, yoga and meditation sessions.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?