We Are Fethr, A Black Swan Company
Fethr and its partners are the world’s leading provider of in-flight entertainment & connectivity (IFEC) technology to the airline industry. More than 70 airlines already fly with our software, significantly the world’s entire top 10, including Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Emirates.
We focus on improving the IFEC passenger experience through personalization, offering an enhanced connected traveler experience, we are helping to transform IFEC from pure entertainment into a retail enabled platform. Our technical expertise brings these innovative experiences to life and captivates millions of passengers every year, while they travel around the globe.
Innovation has been a challenge for the avionics industry due to strict regulations and technological limitations, but this is rapidly changing with an ever-increasing number of planes now connected to the web. IFEC is one of the final untapped spaces where user-experience, advertising, data and applications have not yet matured, and we are working hard to capitalize on those opportunities.
There are exciting times ahead in the world of IFEC and Fethr.
Bringing together a passionate and talented team combining skills in software engineering, data science, design, product innovation and marketing, Black Swan Data thrives on innovating. Launched in 2011, today we employ 260 people worldwide across offices in the UK, USA, Hungary and South Africa.
As a UX Lead you will drive the experiences our customers engage with. From strategic service design to collaboration with product designers to craft our digital touch points, you will work as part of a cross-functional team to unearth user insights and apply them to our digital ecosystem to make sure it’s the best it can be for our audience. You will work as part of a multifunctional team and have access to the best minds in experience design, product development and data science. You will have the opportunity to utilise the full range of your skillset, from research and validation to design and prototyping, before launching and learning from the experiences we create.
We are looking for UX minds who are inherently curious about technology and solving problems for users. You look for challenges within your environment and build better experiences by virtue of this quality. We believe simple is beautiful, while simple is also difficult. If you love a fast-paced environment, solving real challenges by understanding how users behave, you'll love working here.
In this role you'll be responsible for applying effective design solutions to ensure the near and longer term success of your product experiences. You’ll do this through learning about audience behaviour and actively applying insights to our design process, ensuring your products surpass the rest of the market.
You'll work as part of a cross-functional team to:
- Define concepts and solutions through a practical combination of human-centred design and usability principles
- Define user journeys for how users discover, engage and use our products/ services
- Create experience maps to visualise the product or service the team are creating
- Gather data to inform your design work
- Facilitate workshops to gather insights, requirements and collaborate through group design thinking
- Lead how we innovate and deliver work that builds on and exceeds the expectations of our users
- Define, design and iterate on product features across web and mobile platforms
- Deliver low, mid and high fidelity UX prototypes
- Ensure the team's work results in experiences that are intuitive, elegant and beautiful to use
- Deliver exceptional work of the highest quality
- Clearly communicate your ideas and work to peers, management, senior stakeholders and business leaders
- Manage day-to-day work of other UX designers
- Establish the best ways to shape product strategy, and to design and deliver features that will have maximum impact
- Champion human-centred design processes and culture to constantly drive our capability, quality and impact
- Drive and support cross-team initiatives that make our content, research & design practice better
- Lead and mentor more junior members of the UX and broader cross-functional team
Qualifications and Experience
- Design-related bachelor’s degree or equivalent in experience, with evidence of exceptional ability
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing consumer-focused products and services, including proven pedigree designing for mobile and responsive web
- Strong team player who collaborates well with others
- A keen desire to focus on the user at the heart of your design activity and base rationale on user needs
- A keen desire to improve products by self-driven exploration, design research and problem-solving
- Strong experience with UX related tools, testing platforms and their correct application
- Strong experience with completing your work in line with a combination of user and business needs
- Depth of experience delivering UX output within an agile environment
- Experience working with and managing senior business stakeholders
- Ability to work with development, product and QA teams to ensure the quality of your work gets built accurately
- Ability to work to key milestones and deadlines, on-time and on-budget
- Ability to identify, work and consult with individuals and teams to troubleshoot when appropriate
- Ability to think proactively and problem solve independently
- Strong eye for detail
- Knowledge of HTML/ CSS/ JS and modern web standards
- An online portfolio or PDF that you can share and would love to talk us through extensively
What makes a ‘Swan’?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have making a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values:
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it.
What We Offer
Exciting Clients and Projects – Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest
Talented Teams – We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment – We want you to enjoy coming to work, so we provide the following: Daily supply of all the snacks you can eat, Friday drinks, Flexible Working and Monthly Breakfast courtesy of Black Swan.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?