We Are Black Swan Data
Black Swan Data creates better outcomes through technology and the power of prediction.
Our products transform the way brands create value from data, finding insights and solutions that create an advantage for their business. We analyse consumer behaviour using public and private data, then build cutting edge technology based on predictive models to create better outcomes - we call this “Social Prediction”.
Bringing together a passionate and talented team, we thrive on change, innovating across social intelligence and big data. Launched in 2011, we today employ around 260 people across 3 continents and are set to grow even more throughout the years.
Our long-term relationships and work with some of the world’s leading consumer-focused brands (e.g. PepsiCo, Disney, Panasonic, Tesco, GSK) is getting us noticed – in 2017 - We were ranked #6 in the Financial Times FT1000 Fastest Growing Companies in Europe and placed in the Deloitte Top 50 Fastest Growing UK Tech companies. Black Swan Data have also been awarded the APEX Award for Best Inflight Entertainment Innovation 2017.
The VP Data Science will lead innovation across the entire Data Science team, that is, the data scientists and the data engineers across all Black Swan Data locations – primarily London, UK and Szeged, Hungary.
The day to day responsibilities of a VP Data Science at Black Swan are as follows:
- Lead development of data science strategy for Black Swan with world class R&D in an environment that is rich in complex text, image, operational, and business data.
- Lead and manage a global data science group including expertise in statistics, text and image analysis, data-driven predictive analytics, and computer science.
- Recruit, develop, and manage capabilities in machine learning, statistical modelling, and other computational approaches to extract insights from large proprietary and public consumer data sources.
- Establish and support collaboration between data scientists and data engineers for the development of novel data analytic approaches and integrated decision science solutions.
- Represent Black Swan R&D global data science capabilities with our partners, in the scientific community and to select partner clients.
- Initiate and manage any R&D work-streams with external partners.
- Design and implement system-wide standards for analytical workflows that adhere to best practices for reproducible research
- Provide expert analytical, technical and professional mentorship to Data Science Consultants and Associates.
- Sets company-wide standards for the creation of training materials and leads development of classes to help develop data science competence across the organization.
- Experience in machine learning, deep learning, data mining, statistical methodology and demonstrated experience using these techniques to solve research and consumer problems.
- Experience in strategy development and strategic leadership in R&D or business environments.
- Experience with people management with global, diverse talent.
- Passion for collaboration and working with and inspiring cross-functional, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written, with internal and external audiences.
- Knowledge of digital product development.
- Experience with computer science methodologies, high performance computing, data engineering, software development, and data modelling and architecture.
- Deep knowledge of text analytics and natural language processing.
- Interest in consumer products and consumer research.
- Expert knowledge of at least one scripting language suitable for data science work such as R or Python.
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have making a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis across innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest technologies.
Talented Teams - We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable: Daily supply of the all the snacks you can eat in our all- day kitchens, Fridays Wobbly trolley - (check them out on our Instagram page!) , Monthly Breakfast courtesy of Black Swan.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?