We Are Black Swan Data
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social Prediction™. Using sophisticated data science techniques and efficient engineering solutions, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, Panasonic, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
You will lead development of our Food domain datasets within the Datasets Team, leveraging our proprietary tools, processes and cross-team talent to deliver world-class datasets for our client-facing products.
You will take a product-first approach to anticipate end user needs and requirements, and contribute directly to cross-team projects to improve our internal assets, methodology and operational processes.
- Oversee the development and ongoing evolution of our Food Domain datasets, across Meals, Snacking, Supplementary Nutrition and Quick Service Restaurants.
- Lead and develop a high performing Food domain team, empowering, supporting and directing as needed
- Scope & lead multiple builds simultaneously, from the initial briefing and scoping stage through to launch and ongoing management.
- Contribute to the development of our core products by working with cross-functional teams tasked with designing and piloting engineering & data science solutions to our tooling and process.
Essential Skills and Experience:
We are looking for enthusiastic and forward-looking team players with the following skills and experience:
- Experience working in a quantitative research / analytics role, or a SaaS product role
- Experience in developing others and helping & inspiring them to perform at their best
- Exceptional communication skills; the ability to understand & articulate a problem and solution, both in verbal and written forms, and influence others.
- Professional attitude and commercially aware. Able to use their own initiative and apply critical thinking to business challenges.
- Real-world experience defining product or research questions, gathering and analysing data, and communicating results in a business or research setting.
- Desire to deepen understanding of the application of data science/AI techniques to drive insight and prediction from big data sets
- Experience with a variety of industry sectors, in particular Food & Beverage, FMCG or CPG is an advantage
Technical proficiencies needed are:
- Proven ad-hoc quantitative consumer research or SaaS product delivery skills, comfortable applying quantitative analytics techniques to both structured and unstructured data
- Excellent eye for detail and strong process and problem-solving skills.
- Strong technical writing skills and the ability to communicate complex analyses to non-technical stakeholders.
- Excellent knowledge of the MS office suite – Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- High levels of comfort with research tools (Black Swan deploy some unique tools, but we need to see evidence of working with tools to generate and manipulate data e.g. survey tools, database query tools, SQL, data wrangling, data visualisations, SPSS, etc)
- Experience with SaaS product development and Agile working processes is an advantage
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energised environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analytics, with challenging projects serving some of the leading Brands in each domain
Talented Teams - We hire highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable: Daily supply of the all the snacks you can eat in our all- day kitchens, Fridays Wobbly trolley - (check them out on our Instagram page!) , Monthly Breakfast courtesy of Black Swan.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?