We Are Black Swan Data
Black Swan Avionics are looking to bring on-board a Senior Backend Developer (Java)
Black Swan Avionics is the world’s leading provider of in-flight entertainment (IFE) technology to the airline industry. More than 70 airlines already fly with our software, significantly the world’s entire top 10, including Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Emirates.
We focus on improving the IFE passenger experience through personalisation, offering a whole new world of seat-back entertainment systems, pairing with mobile devices and enabling internet connections while passengers are in the air. Our technical expertise brings these innovative experiences to life and captivates millions of passengers every year, whilst they travel around the globe.
Innovation has been a challenge for the avionics industry due to strict regulations, but this is rapidly changing with an ever-increasing number of planes now connected to the web. In-flight entertainment is one of the final untapped spaces where user-experience, advertising, data and applications have not yet matured, and we are working hard to capitalise on those opportunities.
There are exciting times ahead in the world of in-flight entertainment and Black Swan!!
Bringing together a passionate and talented team combining skills in software engineering, data science, design, product innovation and marketing, Black Swan thrives on innovating. Launched in 2011, today we employ 260 people worldwide across offices in the UK, USA, Hungary and South Africa
Black Swan takes a micro-service driven architecture approach, using cutting edge technologies we build ourselves. Our platform is deployed in multiple environments, using cutting edge technologies. We embrace open-source culture and the majority of our deployments are open-source based. For development our core stack is primarily (but not limited to) the following: Java 8+ / Spring Boot, Golang, Typescript, Node.js, Angular, React, RabbitMQ, MySQL, MongoDB, Redis.
For infrastructure and deployment, our core technologies / frameworks is (but not limited to) the following: Linux, AWS (EC2, EKS, EBS, S3, CloudFormation, CodeDeploy etc), Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Jenkins, Bitbucket / Gitlab. We also utilise Azure for some deployments, but our focus is predominantly on AWS. We also utilise virtualisation using a combination of QEMU & VirtualBox.
Your Candidate Profile
We are looking for Senior Backend Developers (Java) with the following skills and experience:
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrable experience with emerging cloud technology (AWS preferred, but hey if you are a GCP expert or an Azure guru who is interested in cross-training, come join our party!)
- Experience with Kubernetes, Terraform etc.
- A passion for Java, and strong experience of delivering multiple projects in it
- Experience with data mapping or ETL type functions across large data sets and serving data to a downstream client
- Lean? Kanban? Scrum? Strong experience and understanding of agile ways of working and tools such as Jira, Git etc.
- Experience working on Data Access Layers to manage queries across multiple DB technologies
- Experience working in global companies with teams in different countries
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Critical and creative thinking and problem solving
- Self-starter with a natural curiosity and a growth mindset
- Energetic with drive and stamina
- Able to work across time zones and cultures
What makes a ‘Swan’?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have making a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer
We provide a working environment which leverages your personal strengths
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latesta
Talented Teams We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable: Daily supply of the all the snacks you can eat in our all- day kitchens, Fridays drinks, Flexitime / Remote working days, Learning & Development workshops (FethrED)