We Are Black Swan Data
In a world turbo-charged by social media, the old world of traditional consumer research no longer enough. Where there’s slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s continuous big data, algorithms and machine learning. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social Prediction™. Using the most sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, McDonald’s, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
Your role at Black Swan Data...
As a data analyst/junior data engineer you will be working with our engineering, data-sets and data science teams to help us gain maximum value from data across the internet. You will be responsible for configuring our web-scraping system to acquire documents from a multitude of different websites.
- Customise web scraping jobs to deliver web content
- Work as part of an Agile Scrum content extraction team
- Identify improvements and enhancements to our processes and software
- Technical problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills for collaborating with internal stakeholders
- Demonstrate ability to troubleshooting technical issues
- Experience of crawling websites to retrieve content
- Ability to understand user flows on 3rd party websites
- Understanding of tools used to scrape websites (e.g. Beautiful Soup, Scrapy, io, dexi.io, ...)
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Self-starter with a natural curiosity to learn and develop abilities
- Displays energy, drive and stamina
- Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations
- Must be a strong team player
What makes a ‘Swan’?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan Data's DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
• We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
• We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
• We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
• We listen more than we talk
• We think 10% crazy is just about right!
• Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading brands using the industries latest technologies.
Talented Teams - We hire highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan Data's projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable: Daily supply of the all the snacks you can eat in our all- day kitchens, Fridays Wobbly trolley - (check them out on our Instagram page!) , Monthly Breakfast courtesy of Black Swan Data.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?