We Are Black Swan Data
In a world turbo-charged by social media, the old world of traditional consumer research is no longer enough. Where there’s slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s continuous big data, algorithms and machine learning. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social Prediction™. Using the most sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, McDonald’s, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
The Szeged office of Black Swan Data delivers Artificial Intelligence/Data Science-based software solutions for Black Swan. We use state-of-the-art technologies in Artificial Intelligence and Big Data Engineering to create game-changing solutions for Social Prediction. The Szeged office has been operating since early 2016. The team has been growing from 5 to 20 people and this team size now desires a dedicated General Manager to support our innovative work.
Responsible for the overall running our Szeged office and planning, directing and coordinating all operations on a day to day basis. You will be accountable for ensuring and improving the performance, productivity, efficiency and profitability of the offices and oversee staffing to ensure engagement and morale remains high and attrition low. You will make sure the teams are structured and skilled for success in a way that allows them to scale in line with Black Swans corporate vision.
- Lead and support the office in all strategic and operational functions in line with global strategy
- Agree commercial plan with Global Black Swan Leadership in the UK and produce associated annual budgets and detailed operating plan to be reviewed quarterly
- Ultimately accountable for the output of the Szeged office - ensuring output is delivered to agreed quality, scope and timings and delivers on the financial plan agreed.
- Ensuring that local team morale and the Black Swan culture remains strong and healthy as our company continues to grow.
- Recruit and manage staff, including performance monitoring, and possibly mentoring and training.
- Lead the local leadership team to ensure the office has the right scalable structure in place for the business strategy, centered around our talent.
- Build the Black Swan company image and awareness.
- Maintain quality service by establishing and enforcing organisational standards.
- Ensure that communication between departments is ongoing and utilised to maintain an environment of continuous improvement.
- Support the company in production planning and making sure the business is adequately resourced.
- Continually identify any skills gaps in the organisation and overseeing a recruitment programme to support this.
- Oversee staff and manager training to ensure that everyone is skilled to adequately perform in their role.
- Provide leadership to teams and motivate staff to achieve goals.
- Manage budgets and costs effectively, ensuring global leadership are kept informed of potential issues
- Act as a liaison to global leadership to regularly keep them up to date with financial & operational matters
- Ensuring that the Black Swan brand has a strong presence internally and externally, both for our core products and services but also as a strong employer brand focused on putting talent at the heart of the business.
- Ensure office key performance indicators and individual objectives are in place and targets are met.
- Implement and maintain any new policies and procedures required for success
- Ensure that all health and safety regulations are continually monitored to ensure compliance
- Ensure all local HR practises and regulations are adhered to at all times
- Collaborates with finance and HR functions in the Black Swan Budapest office
- Provide guidance to employees and act as ultimate local escalation point.
- Degree Qualification or equivalent
- Proven Management and Leadership experience within Data Science, Market Research or related IT Company
- Experience and knowledge of the industry our business is in and the client sectors we operate within
- Experience managing large technical operations along with P&L and budgetary control.
- Knowledge and experience of industry standard tools including budgeting, scheduling, team and task management.
- Ability to work well under pressure, with a high degree of flexibility and fluidity and to have an objective focused and positive approach, and be comfortable working independently, be self-motivated and self-driven
- Possesses good business acumen and sound judgment.
- Excellent networking skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills at all levels, including people-management, leadership and both written and verbal communication skills.
What makes a ‘Swan’?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have making a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest
Talented Teams We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable with team building events, office refreshments and a new office space in the heart of Szeged.
Working hours – Flexible working hours are available. Part-time position is possible.