We Are Black Swan Data
In a world turbo-charged by social media, the old world of traditional consumer research no longer enough. Where there’s slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s continuous big data, algorithms and machine learning. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social Prediction™. Using the most sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, McDonald’s, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
Day to day, you will be part of an agile development team producing interfaces for internal tools or client products. You will be part of a full stack feature team including Backend, Frontend, QA, Design, and Product management. We expect a TDD approach to development, producing high quality outputs.
You will be responsible as part of the team to develop React based web systems from design to build and deployment.
Your Candidate Profile
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent or experience within the relevant field
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Displays energy, drive and stamina
- Experience using Git or similar version control systems
- Experience with Build systems e.g. Webpack/Gulp
- Knowledge of TDD/BDD with Jest/Enzyme or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge of HTML/CSS and responsive techniques
- Open minded, flexible and willing to adapt to changing situations
- A strong team player
- Design and UX skills
- Experience producing data visualisations (d3.js)
- Experience with hybrid mobile technologies e.g. React Native
- Experience in at least one scripting language
- Back end technologies such as Java, Scala, Kotlin, Nodejs, Python
- Experience of working with Continuous Integration (we use Gitlab and Jenkins CI)
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
• We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
• We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
• We listen more than we talk
• We think 10% crazy is just about right!
• Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest
Talented Teams - We hire highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable: Daily supply of the all the snacks you can eat in our all- day kitchens, Fridays Wobbly trolley - (check them out on our Instagram page!) , Monthly Breakfast courtesy of Black Swan.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?