We Are Black Swan Data
In a world turbo-charged by social media, the old world of traditional consumer research no longer enough. Where there’s slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s continuous big data, algorithms and machine learning. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social Prediction™. Using the most sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, McDonald’s, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
As the Technical Project Manager here at Black Swan Data you will be responsible for the management of complex, end-to-end, full life-cycle projects from inception and requirements definition through to delivery. You will be comfortable managing multiple concurrent projects and work streams (including goals, schedules, deliverables, budgets, stakeholder management and quality of delivery).
Key Responsibilities will include:
Project Management -
- Manage multiple complex and interdependent software development and dataset build projects, across our support software platforms and Licence-based Trendscope services
- Engage with business stakeholders to gain full understanding and definition of goals and objectives, requirements and deliverables
- Define the scope of projects (goals, deliverables and schedule). Determine resource profile and effort requirements
- Ensure projects are delivered to scope, on time, on budget and to the quality required
- Manage budget and spend on project(s)
- Run and document Post Project Reviews and ensure key learnings are shared with relevant parties
- Ensure projects have a strong governance structure implementing best practise stakeholder and risk management frameworks supported by an appropriate Communication Plan
- Run regular project status meetings and status reports
- Act as the conduit between internal and external stakeholders and the product team, providing feedback on new features and functionality that will help us build a better product
Stakeholder Management -
- Develop relationships with internal and external business stakeholders through gaining trust and successful delivery of our services and products
- Can serve as the main business stakeholder interface on projects. Assist in defining the vision, clarifies strategic requirements, explains complex ideas clearly, and manages stakeholder expectations
- Partner with the business stakeholder, consistently managing needs and expectations
- Run regular project status meetings and / or producing status reports
- Proven ability at growing and nurturing stakeholder relationships – facilitates win-win situations
Technical Understanding -
- Strong knowledge of product development and quality assurance processes
- Extensive experience of running multi stream complex technical projects
- Sound understanding of technical dependencies across platforms and workstreams with the ability to clearly communicate issues and limitations both with project teams and business stakeholders
- Excellent leadership and communication skills
- Lead and manage interdisciplinary teams both in-house and across Black Swan offices
- Can think quickly under pressure, as well as motivate and engage the team to produce the best possible result
- Ability to think creatively and strategically - makes sound business decisions that balance competing priorities
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to internal and external resources, liaising with these disciplines to meet deadlines
- Must have strong presentation, verbal and written skills
- Demonstrates significant proactive communication skills to manage conflict
- Supports day-to-day communications with project teams, by coordinating meetings, notes, status reports, task lists, etc. Participates actively and can knowledgeably articulate status in team and/or stakeholder interactions
- Strive to drive collaboration within multi-disciplinary teams in a fast-paced environment
- Facilitate and actively be part of teams that deliver innovative, strategically strong solutions to our business stakeholders and clients’ problems
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Proven experience managing multiple concurrent projects successfully
- Solid understanding of software development and delivery techniques such as SCRUM and Kanban, and how to tailor these processes for social intelligence and big data-driven research solutions
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary teams including data scientists, engineers, social media analysts, product managers and user experience designers
- Experience working with remote teams / resources
- Management of projects or programmes that range from £100k - £500k in budget that met with business requirements and were on schedule and budget
- Consistent application of best practice project management controls – scoping, planning, launching, monitoring & controlling and closing projects
- Experience scoping small to medium engagements with development of project plans in MS Project 365
- Experience and understanding of technical considerations for quantitative research, analytics and data processing and inter-dependencies of complex programmes of work.
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
• We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
• We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
• We listen more than we talk
• We think 10% crazy is just about right!
• Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest
Talented Teams - We hire highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable: Daily supply of the all the snacks you can eat in our all- day kitchens, Fridays Wobbly trolley - (check them out on our Instagram page!) , Monthly Breakfast courtesy of Black Swan.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?