We Are Black Swan Data
In a world turbo-charged by social media, the old world of traditional consumer research no longer enough. Where there’s slow and pre-emptive questionnaires and surveys, now there’s continuous big data, algorithms and machine learning. For some, it’s unknown territory. For Black Swan Data, it’s unprecedented possibilities.
Black Swan Data is revolutionising consumer research through Social Prediction™. Using the most sophisticated data science and AI techniques, we unlock the full potential of social data to understand and predict consumer behaviour more accurately and further ahead than anyone else. It’s how we turn game-changing insights into a competitive advantage for global giants like PepsiCo, McDonald’s, Unilever, Mondelez and Danone.
We’re fast movers. Since 2011, we’ve spread our wings across the UK, Hungary, USA and South Africa. Today our team of 260 Swans (and counting) includes data scientists, developers, insights consultants, analysts, designers, engineers and marketeers.
But first, we’re entrepreneurs and champions of change who thrive on moving fast and breaking new ground. And our work is getting us noticed. In 2015 we were awarded the Sunday Times #1 Fastest Growing Start-Up. In 2016 we were named the UK’s Fastest Growing Exporter. And in both 2017 and 2018 we ranked high in the Financial Times 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
You will partner with global consumer goods clients, leveraging our breakthrough & proprietary social prediction data-sets, research frameworks and analytic tools, and deploy your world class interpretation & storytelling skills to determine how they can innovate and position to stay ahead and accelerate growth.
You will be addressing an exciting range of strategic business questions such as surfacing the trends, future facing macro drivers and opportunity territories within a category or occasion, and how that should drive portfolio strategy & innovation pipelines determining how a brand can be positioned in a more relevant, distinct & compelling way figuring out how to develop a proposition that excites the ‘sober curious’!
- Scope & lead multiple projects simultaneously,from the client briefing, research design and proposal development through to delivery of inspiring presentations and workshops that move the client to action.
- Contribute thought leadership working with cross-functional teams in evolving, designing and piloting insight & consulting services
- Lead and develop a high performing team, empowering, supporting and directing as needed
Essential Skills and Experience:
We are looking for enthusiastic, very curious and optimistic team players with the following skills and experience:
- Degree educated (or equivalent)
- Experience in developing others and helping & inspiring them to perform at their best
- Exceptional communication skills; the ability to understand & articulate a problem and solution, both in verbal and written forms, and influence others.
- Strategic agility – capability to reframe a question or brief, or set of insights, to ensure the pivotal business and research question is understood and addressed.
- Desire to deepen understanding of the application of data science/AI techniques to drive insight and prediction from big data sets (albeit we are not expecting you to be a Data Scientist!)
Technical proficiencies needed are:
- Proven ad-hoc qualitative and quantitative consumer research and project delivery skills
- Experience in brand positioning and communications research is an advantage
- Superior report writing and client presentation skills, including the ability to boil down a complex project to key visual PowerPoint slides that tell a compelling story and provide recommendations & inspiration.
- Excellent knowledge of the MS office suite – Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- High levels of comfort with research tools (Black Swan deploy some unique tools, but we need to see evidence of working with tools to generate and manipulate data e.g. survey tools, database query tools, data visualisations, SPSS etc)
What makes a Swan?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energised environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have made a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
• We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
• We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
• We listen more than we talk
• We think 10% crazy is just about right!
• Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer?
Exciting Clients and Projects - Working with Black Swan we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest
Talented Teams - We hire highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.
Working environment - Because you spend 60% of your time at work, we try to make it enjoyable: Daily supply of the all the snacks you can eat in our all- day kitchens, Fridays Wobbly trolley - (check them out on our Instagram page!) , Monthly Breakfast courtesy of Black Swan.
We want to positively change the future through technology and the power of prediction. How about you?