We Are Black Swan Data (Avionics)
Black Swan Data (Avionics)is the world’s leading provider of in-flight entertainment (IFE) technology to the airline industry. More than 70 airlines already fly with our software, significantly the world’s entire top 10, including Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Emirates.
We focus on improving the IFE passenger experience through personalisation, offering a whole new world of seat-back entertainment systems, pairing with mobile devices and enabling internet connections while passengers are in the air. Our technical expertise brings these innovative experiences to life and captivates millions of passengers every year, whilst they travel around the globe.
Innovation has been a challenge for the avionics industry due to strict regulations, but this is rapidly changing with an ever-increasing number of planes now connected to the web. In-flight entertainment is one of the final untapped spaces where user-experience, advertising, data and applications have not yet matured, and we are working hard to capitalise on those opportunities.
There are exciting times ahead in the world of in-flight entertainment and Black Swan Data!!
Bringing together a passionate and talented team combining skills in software engineering, data science, design, product innovation and marketing, Black Swan Data thrives on innovating. Launched in 2011, today we employ 260 people worldwide across offices in the UK, USA, Hungary and South Africa
We Are Black Swan Data
Black Swan Data creates better outcomes through technology and the power of prediction.
Our products transform the way brands create value from data, finding insights and solutions that create an advantage for their business. We analyse consumer behaviour using public and private data, then build cutting edge technology based on predictive models to create better outcomes - we call this “Applied Prediction”.
Bringing together a passionate and talented team, we thrive on change, innovating across social intelligence and big data. Launched in 2011, we today employ around 260 people across 3 continents and are set to grow even more throughout the years.
Our long-term relationships and work with some of the world’s leading consumer-focused brands (e.g. PepsiCo, Disney, Panasonic, Tesco, GSK) is getting us noticed – in 2017 - We were ranked #6 in the Financial Times FT1000 Fastest Growing Companies in Europe and placed in the Deloitte Top 50 Fastest Growing UK Tech companies. Black Swan Data have also been awarded the APEX Award for Best Inflight Entertainment Innovation 2017.
The role: Technical Architect
We are looking for a talented Technical Architect to drive the technical architecture for wider projects / products within Black Swan Data. You will provide technical architecture documentation for new features and high-level strategic direction of the overall architectural environment.
- Actively partake in code reviews for other team members
- Adhere to Black Swan's global testing strategies (e.g. unit testing) to ensure the code is of high quality and minimizes regression.
- Assist with the appropriate design documents, wireframes and other forms of documentation to clearly represent the solutions being created.
- Collaborate with developers on other platforms to ensure logic is consistent across platforms.
- Engage with key internal stakeholders to understand the product and user environments of the solutions we are creating.
- Feed into technical architecture documentation by providing thoughts and advise.
- Provide input into technical architecture for the wider product / project.
- Provide technical architecture documentation for new features.
- Technically lead and mentor all members of the team setting standards and technical vision within the team .
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Ability to set standard and technical vision within the team.
- Ability to tackle complex tasks and bug fixes.
- Accurately estimate tasks, complexity and development efforts for stories .
- Commenting on pull requests and implementing changes.
- Ensuring best practice throughout the team with regards to coding standards and adhering to Black Swan’s coding standards.
- Management of offshore teams/resources.
- Participate in planning sessions, and feed into overall collaboration of sprint planning activities.
- Show some ability to identify best use of technology to solve complex problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent or experience within the relevant field.
- Experience with Build systems e.g. Webpack/Grunt/Gulp
- Experience with Testing frameworks e.g Karma/Jasmine/Protractor/Cucumber/Mocha/Jest
- Experience with interface development toolkits: e.g. Less/SASS
- Experience with with web service integration protocols such as REST & GraphQL
- Experience of working with Continuous Integration (e.g. Jenkins CI Server)
- Experience of working with automated deployment solutions (ideally including Chef or Docker).
- Experience with Design and UX tools e.g. Photoshop/Balsamiq/Adobe XD/Invision/Zeplin.
- Experience with hybrid mobile technologies e.g. Ionic & React Native.
What makes a ‘Swan’?
We want people fanatical about creating innovative solutions inspired by data. We know Black Swan Data’s DNA is different, it’s what helps us find new perspectives on our clients’ problems. Working in a fast paced, energized environment, our bar is set high, and an ability to build long lasting partnerships both internally and externally is vital.
We have making a difference at our core and that is embedded in our values.
- We believe in long-term partnerships through transparency and honesty
- We believe in leaving the world in a better place than we found it
- We believe anyone can achieve great things. We do not put people in boxes
- We listen more than we talk
- We think 10% crazy is just about right!
- Most importantly, and because you spend 60% of your waking time at work, we believe you should enjoy it
What We Offer
Exciting Clients and Projects- Working with Black Swan Data we promise to provide an exciting and ever-changing industry within Data Science and Predictive Analysis innovative and challenging projects with some of the leading Brands using the industries latest
Talented Teams We ensure we have the best talent in the market – We are hire the best of the best as a swan you are exposed to highly skilled and multi-disciplined teams over the world. We have 8 offices across 4 countries!
Career Development – Regardless of which area of the business you work in you can expect to collaborate on all aspects of Black Swan Data’s projects gaining the exposure you need to develop your expertise. No matter what stage you are in your career your development is our priority.