BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
The BlackSky Innovative Solutions Group leverages BlackSky’s global sensor network, advanced artificial intelligence platform, and third-party data sources to develop high-impact data feeds for commercial and government customers.
BlackSky is looking for a talented and creative Software Engineer to build solutions which meet customer requirements. As part of the Innovative Solutions Group, you will be instrumental in building customer pilots using the latest data feeds and geospatial analysis tools and will report to the Chief Innovation Officer (CNO). Additionally, through the development of customer pilots and solutions, you will support product development and influence the evolution of BlackSky’s engineering roadmap. You will build software powered by BlackSky’s constellation of satellites, Spectra AI machine learning platform, and third-party data and tools. You will work with many stakeholders both within and outside of BlackSky to ensure successful execution and delivery of customer solutions.
The ideal candidate has AWS experience, strong data ETL and data warehousing skills; experience working alongside data scientists; and success working in an agile development environment. Additionally, the ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability to manage their own efforts over a broad scope of work as an independent contributor. Finally, the candidate should be an independent thinker with the demonstrated ability and willingness to lean in and solve new problems. While the position listed in this job posting is ideal, we are open to candidates remotely in certain states.
- Develop cutting-edge software solutions utilizing BlackSky’s global sensor network, the Spectra AI platform, customer and third-party data/tools, and open-source data to deliver high-impact insights to our customers.
- Build and integrate software processes and tools that improve the velocity and effectiveness of the Innovative Solutions Group.
- Automate traditionally manual analysis and processing workflows to ensure scalability of BlackSky’s products and solutions.
- Contribute to the engineering roadmap process by highlighting technical gaps and opportunities impacting the Innovative Solutions Group.
- Take part in the entire pilot and project lifecycle from developing requirements, to soliciting customer feedback, to solution deployment and management.
- Collaborate with BlackSky stakeholders on product and platform strategy including sales, product management, engineering, and leadership.
- Minimum of three years of hands-on experience as a software developer or software architect with at least one year focused on data science or analytics related workflows.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in one of the following fields: computer science, data science, mathematics, physics, statistics, or another computational field.
- Python3 proficiency and familiarity with scientific and data processing libraries such as NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, scikit-learn, and OpenCV.
- Experience with cloud-based software development and deployments particularly using Amazon Web Services.
- Hands on experience working with and managing processing of large datasets and computational or analytic jobs.
- Knowledge and experience with geospatial data, computer vision, and/or satellite imagery.
- Familiarity with data ETL and processing technologies such as Luigi, Apache Airflow, Dask, Apache Spark, EMR and/or AWS Kinesis.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes:
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses
- Total of 5 weeks of paid leave including vacation, holidays, volunteerism leave and our shutdown between Christmas and New Year’s Eve
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Professional development budgets
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome space swag
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.