Infrastructure Engineer, Ground Station
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. Blacksky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
This position supports our Ground and Control Infrastructure team and will play an important part in overseeing the general maintenance and sustainment of our global ground station infrastructure. The role reports to our Manager, Ground and Control Infrastructure and while we have offices in Seattle, WA and Herndon, VA we are open to remote candidates in certain states.
- Manage production infrastructure using infrastructure-as-code configuration management tools/processes.
- Configure, secure and maintain VMware infrastructure to be deployed to ground station sites around the world.
- Collaborate with ground station and RF teams to troubleshoot and fix ground station issues as they arise.
- Configure and manage VPNs between ground station and cloud environments.
- Minimum of five years commercial software infrastructure experience in an operational environment.
- Experience designing and supporting VMWare environments.
- Fluent in Linux and at least one scripting language (bash, Python, etc).
- Significant experience with container-based technologies such as Docker.
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Experience with AWS and general cloud computing principals.
- Familiarity and/or experience with the Hashicorp stack (Consul/Vault/Nomad).
- Prior experience with ground stations and radio systems.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes:
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses
- Total of 5 weeks of paid leave including vacation, holidays, volunteerism leave and our shutdown between Christmas and New Year’s Eve
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Professional development budgets
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome space swag
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.