Senior Software Engineer (Geospatial Image Processing)
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud-based processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of geointelligence and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky is operating and deploying a constellation of high-resolution imaging spacecraft to image the planet in near real time.
BlackSky is looking for a talented and creative Senior Software Engineer to support the development, operation, and capability evolution of Spectra AI, BlackSky’s cutting-edge AI/ML Platform. As part of the machine learning team, you are instrumental in supporting the automated monitoring mission at BlackSky. You will help ensure that Spectra AI produces consistent, reliable, and relevant analytics to BlackSky’s growing user base.
This position is a critical element of the BlackSky AI/ML Engineering team and is expected to work collaboratively with internal satellite development teams to ensure success. The ideal candidate has geospatial software engineering, computer vision model deployment, operations, and testing experience; familiarity with national security use cases; and success working in an agile development environment. Additionally, the ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability to manage their own efforts over a broad scope of work as an independent contributor. Finally, the candidate should be an independent thinker with the demonstrated ability and willingness to lean in to learn new tools, technologies, and approaches to solve new problems. This position will be based out of Herndon, VA reporting to the Director, Analytics.
- Design and implement image processing pipelines to assist researchers developing computer vision solutions for next-generation satellite imagery analytics.
- Ensure high-quality and production-ready Python code.
- Take part in the entire project lifecycle from requirements development to deployment.
- Collaborate with management and technical team on product strategy.
- Minimum of five years of hands-on experience as a software engineer with at least three years focused on geospatial imagery.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s Degree or higher in one of the following fields: computer science, mathematics, physics, statistics, or another computational field.
- Hands on experience working with large imagery datasets including image normalization, image augmentation, raster/vector visualization, etc.
- Fluent in Python and comfortable diving into other languages when necessary.
- Familiarity with open-source python remote sensing libraries such as Rasterio, Shapely, GeoPandas, etc.
- Strong ability to communicate concepts and analytical results with customers, management, and the technical team, highlighting actionable insights.
- US Citizenship.
- You may have some exposure to machine learning. While not a requirement, it would be helpful if you have studied machine learning, statistics, computer vision and would enjoy working with Computer Vision subject matter experts.
- Over seven years of hands-on experience as a software engineer.
- Experience working with geospatial software stacks (GDAL, Rasterio, GeoPandas, Shapely, Dask, etc.).
- Experience with remote sensing datasets and image preprocessing and manipulation methods for sensors such as Sentinel, LandSat, WorldView.
- Experience with Infrastructure solutions (scaling and deploying models in the cloud using AWS solutions such as Kubernetes, KubeFlow, EC2, S3, Batch).
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.