Software Design Engineer in Test (SDET)
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud-based processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of geo-intelligence and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky is operating and deploying a constellation of high-resolution imaging spacecraft to image the planet in near real time.
BlackSky is operating and deploying a constellation of high resolution imaging spacecraft to image the planet in near real time. Our business is rapidly expanding and we require experienced, creative, energetic leaders to drive mission execution and success. We require exceptional individuals who desire to work in a fast paced, highly technical environment. Candidates must be self-motivated and demonstrate personal commitment and dedication to leading others to successful project completion.
Here at BlackSky, we are building the premier global intelligence platform. Our Platform delivers timely, relevant, and actionable information allowing our customers to make swift and informed decisions.
As a Software Design Engineer in Test on our Platform Services team, you'll be joining a (small) group of industry veterans who are passionate about writing quality software. Our current technology stack is based primarily on Python, Java, Elasticsearch, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, and Redis.
Our development team comes from many development backgrounds (from game engines to cloud computing) and has experience across the entire stack. Responsibilities include working with data scientists to productize machine learning models or geospatial analytics, developing scalable production data pipelines, implementing APIs, working with data query / data storage design for mission solutions, and architecting the codebase to ensure maintainable code and positive developer experience.
We are NOT a "work hard, play hard" group. We are a "work smart" group, and you can play how you like on your own time. As a young company, we still offer opportunities to work on greenfield projects; your job will not involve only maintaining legacy software.
Who you are:
- An experienced software test engineer who enjoys working with different languages, frameworks, and technology stacks.
- A driven communicator. On the Platform team, we communicate in video conferences, Slack, JIRA, and GitHub Pull Requests. You are driven to ensure you share (and receive) context from your team and stakeholders
- Self-taught learner. You thrive in learning new technologies and discovering techniques to further your (and your team’s) game. We encourage learning sessions with the team so everyone can benefit from your newly-sought knowledge.
- Detail Oriented. You provide insightful feedback during design sessions and help your teammates catch issues before they make it into production.
- You enjoy development and design discussions with your teammates and own the resulting tasks and implementations.
Relevant Skills and Experience:
- Experience on end-to-end system test automation, and experience using test automation frameworks for at least 3 years.
- Experience in Python for at least 3 years and are comfortable diving into other languages when necessary.
- Familiarity with common database technologies (SQL and NoSQL).
- Familiarity managing data and services in a cloud environment like AWS, GCE, or MS Azure.
- Familiarity working with data ingestion, storage, and analysis tools such as Elasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB, PostgresDB, etc. is preferred.
- Experience with geospatial systems is preferred but not required.
- Know and have worked with DevOps concepts and tools, such as: GitHub, JIRA, Docker, CloudFormation
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.