Black Canyon Consulting (BCC) is searching for C++ Platform Systems Engineers (DevOps) to support our work for the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Library of Medicine (NLM), an institute of the National Institutes of Health. This opportunity is full time and onsite/remote at the NCBI in Bethesda, MD and/or remote.
NCBI is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI advances science and public health by providing free access to biomedical literature and genomic data over the web, making it one of the 400 top most-visited sites in the world. NCBI's diverse staff of smart, talented, and deeply technical people collaborate to build critically valuable services for researchers, physicians, educators, students, and the general public. For example, NCBI develops and delivers PubMed, an index of over 29 million biomedical research abstracts, often with links to full-text literature and supporting data.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, flexible working hours, remote options, on- and off-site training courses, and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
This is a great opportunity to work on challenging problems as part of NCBI's Platforms team, in a technical, scientific, and goal-oriented environment.
The Platforms team:
- Develops and continuously improves DevSecOps, DataOps, and Observability platforms.
- Develops and maintains common tools and libraries.
- Evaluates new technologies and practices.
- Helps NCBI developers with adoption platforms, tools, architectural patterns and best practices.
- Ensures compliance with the Federal application security regulations and standards by providing automated solutions and compliance pipelines.
- Practices Agile development and continuous improvement.
This particular position requires a strong knowledge of Python, with an ability to maintain pre-existing and to write new code.
It also requires a general knowledge of C/C++. Little to no actual C/C++ programming per se is needed... however, it's very important to be able to support and monitor numerous multi-platform C/C++ builds and to provide an initial (very formal!) problem evaluation.
Other technologies which will surely be used in this line of work: Conan, CMake, Git, SVN, GitLab, TeamCity, Artifactory. An ideal candidate 'd be familiar with at least some of these; will need to learn the rest.
NCBI is predominantly a Linux shop, candidates need adequate level of Linux command-line skills. Sysadmin-level skills are a bonus. But this particular position will also greatly benefit from Windows and Mac experience.
Familiarity with build tools and various web, RPC and other frameworks is a bonus. Experience with design patterns in coding and architecture is a bonus.
NCBI's platforms are based on containerization, Kubernetes, GitOps and open interfaces with deployments to multiple clouds and premises.
Any knowledge of the following is helpful but not required:
- OpenShift, Anthos, Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE), Azure Kubernetes Services (AKS), Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS), Hashicorp Nomad
- Observability tools such as Prometheus, EFK (ElasticSearch, fluentd, Kibana), TIGK (Telegraph, InfluxDB, Graphana, Kapacitor), DataDog, Sensu, Jaeger, Sentry, OpsGenie, PagerDuty.
- Service mesh technologies such as Istio, Linkerd
- Kafka, Apache Pulsar, RabbitMQ, Amazon Kinesis, Apache Flume, Apache Storm, Apache Spark Streaming, Google Cloud Pub/Sub
- GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket, Teamcity, Artifactory, or equivalent products for management of Git source control, CI/CD pipelines and artifact lifecycle management.
- Secret Management tools such as Hashicorp Vault, CyberArk, Azure Key Vault, Google Cloud Secret Manager or equivalent.
Positions offered at any level. Growth mindset is encouraged and the team offers leadership opportunities at any level.
- B.S. in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics) or equivalent experience in Systems Engineering or software development.