Black Canyon Consulting (BCC) is searching for a Datacenter Technician to support our work for the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Library of Medicine (NLM), an institute of the National Institutes of Health. This is a full-time position located at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
- Datacenter center related certification including CompTIA ServerPlus, CompTIA Network, or CCNP certification would be advantageous.
- 2‐3 years of experience as a data center technician – highly desired
- In‐depth knowledge of data center environment including servers, network, and storage equipment.
- Minimum High School or GED
- Two (2) years' relevant experience in a dynamic datacenter environment
- Working knowledge of datacenter protocols/regulations and computer hardware/infrastructure environment to include power, networking, server
- Unboxing and physically racking the server/network/storage equipment
- Run the require networking cables to connect equipment to the designated network appliance in a professional, neat manor.
- Connect power to the equipment using standard data center established procedures for efficient power distribution.
- Able to identify and perform diagnostic/removal/update/upgrade various hardware components in a computer server as needed.
- Understand basic electrical nomenclature/concepts and how they are applied concerning power usage, management, and deployment within data center.
- Experience in installing, monitoring, and maintaining data center equipment.
- Exceptional ability to work as part of a team, provide IT support, address and resolve issues/problems without direct supervision
- Ability to keep up with advancements in data center infrastructure and technologies.
- Proficiency in documenting/updating tasks using appropriate software such as Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Acceptable communication skills.
- Acceptable computer skill; able to access a computer system in via a GUI interface (for example,
- Windows login interface) or computer terminal
- Willingness to respond to computer, network storage and general data center issues during after‐hours including weekends and holidays
- Able to support the main datacenter and Co‐location sites within a reasonable distance from the main site
- Be on call and available to travel to datacenter at short notice
- Willing to work on the weekend and off shift hours if/when necessary
- Have reliable transportation to/from NIH Campus in Bethesda, MD and to remote datacenter in Northern Virginia
Physically, the candidate should have the following ability:
- Lift at min 50lbs
- Not color blind
- Ability to climb ladders as needed
- Ability to withstand prolonged standing as needed