Black Canyon Consulting (BCC) is searching for a Software Development Manager - Team Lead to support our work for the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Library of Medicine (NLM), an institute of the National Institutes of Health. This is a full-time position located at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD and/or remote.
National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI, one of the 400 top most-visited sites in the world, is the premier biomedical center, hosting over 4 million daily users in search of clinical, genetic and other information – at NCBI your work contributes to curing cancer faster! NCBI’s wide range of applications (such as PubMed and ClincialTrials.org), platforms and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users and more data than any other US Government Agency.
As a Technical Lead, you will manage the development efforts supporting the goals and initiatives of the product team and organization. This role will work to define development tasks, establish delivery schedules, and ensure compliance with the organizations policies and procedures. This work is performed under the guidance of the Technical Program Manager and the Product Owner..
- Manage the efforts of the product’s software development team in an Agile framework
- Provide work estimates for development tasks
- Ensure on-schedule delivery of software solutions for the product line and organization
- Manage the development lifecycle of software for assigned products
- Research new technologies in pursuit of advancing the goals of the product line
- Direct and coordinate the actions of the development team
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the development team
- Act as a liaison between the development team and program leadership
- Create and maintain technical documentation related to the product line
- Ensure high code quality for software development tasks
The ideal candidate must have at least a Bachelor or Master of Science degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or Engineering or equivalent work experience.
We are looking for an individual with:
- A proven track record of managing an Agile software development team
- Experience working with highly available, high traffic web applications
- The ability to translate business requirements into executable software development tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to troubleshoot technical and staffing roadblocks and mitigate resource risks
- Software development experience in a Linux environment (5+ Years)
- Proficiency in at least one programming language (Java, C, C++)
- Experience working with Cloud data storage and processing platforms (AWS, GCP)
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language (BASH, Python)
- Experience working with SQL databases
- Ability to work with common structured documents (XML, JSON, CSV)
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration, and regression testing
- Strong presentation and collaboration skills
- Experience coaching team members