Black Canyon Consulting (BCC) is searching for a System Security Engineer to support our work for the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Library of Medicine (NLM), an institute of the National Institutes of Health. This is a full-time position located at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD and/or remote.
We are looking for a highly self motivated System Security Engineer to join the team responsible for hosting one of the largest US Government Agency websites and public data archives. NCBI is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world’s premier biomedical center, hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health. At NCBI, you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases!
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Firewall management.
- IP management.
- Vulnerability/System compliance management.
- Analyze architecture and system functionality for a broad range of technologies.
- Log analysis for incident remediation/threat hunting.
- Troubleshooting security and network problems.
- Provide support in the areas of information assurance, vulnerability assessment, enterprise protection planning, security monitoring, incident response, cyber security, and cyber threat analysis.
- Participate in formal incident response efforts coordinating responses to major intrusions or exploits. Incident investigations include intrusions, illegal software usage, etc.
- Determine Security Incident Event Management (SIEM) pattern analysis based on threat intelligence feeds
- Bachelor's degree or 4 yrs of equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2+ years hands on firewall management experience
- Minimum 2+ years hands on vulnerability management experience
- Working knowledge and demonstrated experience in network design, network security, and firewall technologies. Experience with Fortinet, Symantec endpoint protection, and Arista/Cisco ACLs preferred.
- Experience with testing and identifying network and system vulnerabilities using tools such as Tenable.SC and BigFix.
- Experience with log analysis.
- Experience with Splunk preferred.
- Good understanding of computing security, authentication techniques, operation procedures and general practices in an enterprise IT infrastructure.
- Demonstrated self-initiated ability for analyzing, debugging, and tracking security issues.
- Identifies problems, determines the accuracy and relevance of information, and uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
- Excellent organization and time management skills and ability to identify priorities as needed to accomplish a variety of tasks.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to work with people at every level.