Black Canyon Consulting (BCC) is searching for a Desktop Administrator to support our work for the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) at the National Library of Medicine (NLM), an institute of the National Institutes of Health. This is a full-time position located at the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world’s premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health – at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI’s wide range of applications, platforms (node, python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to https://analytics.usa.gov/.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
• Support internal staff having desktop system and application issues via online ticketing systems
• Work in a dynamic environment supporting 700 users in a Windows OS based environment
• Help desk phone support and in person support
• Imaging new machines, installing and updating software
• Assist with the patching process as determined by the patch coordinator
• Remediate vulnerabilities flagged by the security team
• Prepare old computers for surplus
• Provide OS X support to NCBI's internal developers and researchers
• Provision and deploy Mac endpoints for users
• Assist with deploying applications, updates (patch management), packaging, OS upgrades, hardware upgrades, etc.
• Help integrate macOS with network storage (SMB, NFS) and internal/external sites, including troubleshooting
• Install, configure and maintain mobile devices via Mobile Device Management software
• 3+ years experience
• High School Diploma/GED with either technical training/certifications, or equivalent experience
• Basic troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities
• Good communication, documentation, and customer service skills
• Experience with basic Unix command Line: file system navigation, ssh, rsync, chown, chmod, etc.
• Understanding of Apple technologies: packages, Installer, Device Enrollment Program, Apple Business Manager, Volume Purchase Program, Xcode and command line tool deployment, et. al.
• Enterprise experience: familiarity and experience with binding to Active Directory, AD/Mac integration, NoMAD, Microsoft Remote Desktop
• Mac Office suite and Exchange/Office 365 email and calendaring
• Familiarity with deploying and updating Adobe products
• Familiarity with CUPS and printer configuration and deployment
• Familiarity with Jamf Pro (Jamf certifications a plus)
• Apple Certified Support Professional certification
• Scripting knowledge (bash, python)
• Knowledge of Smart Cards
• Willingness to learn