Black Canyon Consulting (BCC) in partnership with Medical Science and Computing (MSC) is searching for a Senior Software Developer to support National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
NCBI is part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). NCBI is the world’s premier biomedical center hosting over six million daily users that seek research, clinical, genetic, and other information that directly impacts biomedical research and public health – at NCBI you can literally help to accelerate cures for diseases! NCBI’s wide range of applications, platforms (node, python, Django, C++, you name it) and environments (big data [petabytes], machine learning, multiple clouds) serve more users than almost any other US Government Agency according to https://analytics.usa.gov/.
We attract the best people in the business with our competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holidays, vacation, and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy being a part of a high performing, professional service and technology focused organization, please apply today!
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the development, implementation, testing, and continued maintenance of the Sequence Read Archive (SRA) and related databases.
- Work with a diverse group of scientists, bioinformaticians and other developers across the center to implement efficient bioinformatics algorithms and to further advance the usefulness of SRA data.
- Facilitate development of “cloud ready” tools and pipelines to support sustainable scalability and enable use by collaborators and scientists in the field.
- Learn new technologies, keep up with the internal systems, and share your knowledge with the team.
- Lead other developers.
- 3+ years of experience handling large amounts of data, hundreds of terrabytes or more
- Programming experience in a Linux environment
- Experience with Cloud technologies:
- AWS: EC2, S3, Lambda
- GCP: GKE, Google Store, Cloud functions
- Proficiency in at least one of programming languages: Java, C, C++
- Fluency in some of scripting languages such as bash, csh, perl, or python
- Ability to work with common structured documents (at least one of XML, JSON)
- Experience with open source projects
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines, unit tests, integration and regression testing
- 5+ years of working with genetic and biological data
- Experience with MS SQL server, including XML typed data storage and manipulation
- Familiarity with NGS computational tools and formats (BWA, GATK, Galaxy, etc.)
- Demonstrated active involvement into open source communities (github, etc.)