About B Lab
We are a nonprofit that serves a global movement of people using business as a force for good™. Our initiatives include B Corporation Certification, administration of the B Impact Management programs, and advocacy for governance structures like the benefit corporation. Our vision at B Lab is of an inclusive and sustainable economy that creates a shared prosperity for all.
You can find more information about B Lab and our work here.
About the Opportunity
*** Please note: B Lab is hiring for multiple Business Analyst (Standards Analyst) roles. If you are interested in applying for this position and you have conversational/professional proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese (eg if you are comfortable discussing complex business practices over the phone with native Spanish/Portuguese speakers) please apply here.
We are seeking to grow our Standards Review team to support in the growth of the global Certified B Corporation movement. This is an exciting time for the B Corp movement, as we are gaining traction for the certification around the globe. Standards Analysts work directly with companies to support them in verifying their performance in the B Impact Assessment (BIA) and completing the process for B Corporation Certification.
The Standards Analyst will become an expert in applying the BIA standards and independently managing external relationships with companies. The Standards Analyst reports to a Standards Review team manager, and works closely with colleagues on the Standards Review, Standards Management, and Product Development teams, as well as with our network of Global Partners working in the local markets where the companies operate.
Core Job Functions:
Functional responsibilities and tasks for this role include:
Assisting companies in completing the certification process (85%)
- Review companies’ B Impact Assessment, and other data about their social and environmental performance, accurately and efficiently within the process approach for certification
- In the first 1-2 years in the role, independently lead key contacts (ranges from CEO/Founder to a sustainability project manager) in going through the certification or re-certification process, providing quality customer service, and managing communications related to the standards and certification
- Participate in and deliver B Corp Site Reviews, including possible travel onsite to companies after 1 year
- Guide companies through the B Corp Legal Framework and legal requirement for certification
- Explain the standards, certification requirements, and timelines collaboratively with our Global Partners, key contacts at B Corps and prospective B Corps and/or their consultants
- Ensure decisions regarding application of the BIA are made with transparency, reason, and consistency to provide a meaningful experience to stakeholders
- Update records real-time in the BIA app and in Salesforce
- Liaise with Standards Trust (Standards Review and Standards Management) leadership to present on findings and recommendations
- Manage account pipeline and project timelines for 20+ companies in the process
- Provide concrete suggestions for companies to improve their impact, when applicable
- Provide basic technical support to companies using the assessment platform
Contributing to improvements that advance the Standards Trust (15%)
- Provide continual feedback to process or department leads
- Contribute to research in standards development or application
- Draft proposals for recommendations
- Represent Standards Trust at conferences
- Participate in B Lab staff initiatives and professional development opportunities
We are seeking candidates who have:
- 2-3 years experience in business, preferably in a role with an external-facing responsibility
- Educational or experiential knowledge of Business, Sustainability, Social Sciences or Environmental Studies
- Familiarity or experience in business in regions outside of the US
Additionally, the ideal candidate will:
- Relate to our mission, using business to solve social and environmental challenges
- Consider themselves a relentless problem solver
- Have an eye for detail and accuracy
- Manage work in respect of tight deadlines & multi-tasking, handling several projects at any one time
- Excel in written and verbal communication skills
- Have experience working in different global contexts
- Have customer service experience, including the ability to lead and influence others
- Be prepared to learn tech platforms swiftly (B Lab uses a number of technology platforms, such as Salesforce, Google Suite, Microsoft Excel, and the B Impact Assessment App)
B Lab has a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of $40,000 to $48,000
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off for vacation - in your first year, you’ll start with 3 weeks (pro-rated for the 2020 calendar year, and refresh in January 2021)
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- In your second year at B Lab, you’ll be eligible for 40 hours paid time off for community service; paid parental leave; and time and budget for your professional development
- A warm, inviting and inclusive organizational culture!
Applications will be accepted for this role until December 13, 2019.
- All applications will be reviewed for an initial screening.
- Every candidate will receive an update on their application status no later than December 20, 2019, but it may be sooner.
B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition, and we strive to provide all candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
B Lab provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, B Lab complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process, or if you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more equitable or accessible, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.