Who We Are:
B Lab is the global nonprofit governing body of the standards that distinguish the Certified B Corp™ community as leaders and exists to serve, inspire, and empower a global movement of people using business as a force for good™. Its vision is that one day all companies will compete to be Best for the World®, building an inclusive economy that creates a shared and durable prosperity for all. You can find out more information B Lab and our work here.
While the early success of the B Corp movement has been driven largely by innovative small and mid-sized companies, an increasing number of multinational and public companies (MPCs) have expressed interest in B Corp Certification and in accelerating the movement. To address the unique standards and certification related challenges for these companies, B Lab created the Multinational and Public Markets Advisory Council (MPM AC), a multi-stakeholder advisory body tasked with making recommendations to B Lab’s Standards Advisory Council on how to create a meaningful, manageable path to certification for MPCs.
With the finalization of the MPM AC process and series of recommendations made on creating a path to certification for these companies, B Lab is now seeking an experienced professional to begin implementing, applying, and continuing to develop the results of the MPM AC.
Joining the Standards Management team as the Manager, Multinational Standards and Certification is a great opportunity to apply previous experience in business sustainability to directly build and contribute to an innovative social movement. In this role, joining a fast paced, small team with a critically important role in the organization, there is an opportunity to not only contribute to improving our standards on the whole but to actively develop and lead B Lab’s performance standards and processes as it relates to multinationals. Strong candidates will not only bring experience and expertise relevant to evaluating the social and environmental performance of large companies, but will also bring leadership, independence, innovation, and flexibility to the position.
Core Job Functions
Functional Responsibilities and Tasks for this role include:
Multinational Standards Development
- Leading projects to identify the necessary process and content changes needed to support and enable third party involvement in multinational certification processes (i.e. third party assurance)
- Supporting and training other team members in their engagement with multinationals
- Identifying and managing relationships with potential third parties who can conduct or support certification processes
- Identifying and implementing ongoing adjustments and improvements to multinational certification requirements and processes over time
- Developing partnerships with other standards organizations and stakeholders relevant to multinational sustainability standards
- Reviewing company compliance with “baseline requirements” for multinational companies (including identification and management of most material social and environmental issues relevant to the company) with B Lab’s independent Standards Advisory Council
Multinational Standards Application
- Supporting Scoping and Pre-screen processes for large and multinational companies interested in certification to understand their organizational structures and risks to qualifying for the certification, designed to help companies understand the implications of the certification process
- Supporting current verification processes of large company performance (including Onsite Reviews), while developing improvements to those processes
- Participating in “complex structure” decisions regarding the necessary path to certification for companies with complex organizational structures
- Participating in disclosure review and risk assessment processes to identify controversial issues and develop positions on how they affect eligibility for B Corp Certification
Accountability: This role will report to B Lab’s Director of Standards Management, and will work closely with the Standards Management and Standards Review teams in the US (Berwyn, PA) and Amsterdam.
Preferred Qualifications include:
- 5+ years of experience related to social and environmental performance assessment of large multinationals
- EU work authorization (or willing to obtain)
- Experience / expertise in conducting materiality assessments and/or non-financial assurance for large corporations
- Familiarity with non-financial assurance standards (such as ISAE3000) and/or social and environmental standards used by large companies (such as GRI, DJSI, etc.)
- Familiarity with technology platforms, including Google Suite and Salesforce
- Demonstrated excellence in project management and relationship management
- Fluency in English, with additional language proficiency a plus
Additionally, the Ideal Candidate will have:
- A constructive, solution oriented approach to improvement and problem solving
- Passion for using business to solve social and environmental problems
- Experience developing and implementing new processes
- Meeting management and facilitation skills
- An ability to understand and communicate technical content in a compelling manner to a general audience, both in writing and verbally
B Lab has a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of €70,000 - 80,000 (depending upon experience)
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off for vacation, community service, parental leave and professional development
- A great company culture!
Applications will be accepted for this role until July 2019.
- Applications will be accepted for this role until July 2019.
- After submitting your application it will be reviewed for initial screening.
- The hiring team will reach out directly to candidates who pass the initial screening and set up the next steps.
B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
B Lab provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, B Lab complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
If we can offer accommodations for you in the recruitment process or you have feedback on how to make our recruiting more accessible, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.