About the Trading Technology team
The BitMEX Trading Technology team sits at the core of the business and handles all brokerage and trading aspects of the platform. The team is responsible for order management, risk checking, position keeping, PNL calculations, pricing (derivatives), risk management, market data distribution, order matching, and settlement.
We are building a best in class Technology team to help us scale BitMEX to millions of users and millions of transactions per second.
The global BitMEX DevOps team is responsible for the reliability and scalability of all the services that power the platform and its developers. The BitMEX trading platform handles ten of thousands low latency transactions per second, representing several billions of dollars traded every day and we believe our production infrastructure is one of the highest value worldwide. This is a DevOps / SysAdmin role sitting directly within the Trading Technology team.
- Work closely within the Trading Technology team to:
- Rationalise the management of the infrastructure by leveraging infrastructure-as-code practices using tools such as Chef and Terraform
- Fine-tune Linux (kernel, ZFS, cgroups, network, …) parameters across our most critical and complex applications
- Design, provision, manage, and own cloud resources backing highly-reliable Infrastructure components
- Establish and test contingency strategies for a complex server side trading system architecture
- Establish follow-the-sun operational support for BitMEX's cloud resources and Infrastructure services
- Provide guidance, insight, and subject matter expertise on the Linux stack, including performance tuning applications, troubleshooting production issues, and implementing best practices
- Work with the global DevOps team to improve automation, testing, monitoring and alerting for Infrastructure services
You follow good principles of software engineering like TDD, writing modular, maintainable, clean code, and are used to working in an Agile environment.
- Strong engineering skill set with firm grasp of fundamental Computer Science principles and a test-driven approach to software development
- Expert in performance tuning the Linux environment and a thorough understanding of both its fundamentals and internals, including:
- the user/kernel-space divide
- filesystems, including ZFS
- threads and processes
- modern memory management
- network stack
- Familiarity with AWS cloud services, and the design / implementation of infrastructure components with stringent reliability and performance requirements, including disaster recovery / failover mechanisms
- A keen analytical mind and a methodical approach to problem solving. You enjoy trying to break things and finding out how things work
- Ability to drive projects end-to-end and excel with minimal technical supervision, while embracing reliability constraints and proactiveness
- Capacity to multitask and give equal attention to a variety of functions while under pressure
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast moving industry and startup culture
- Financial experience, at an Investment Bank / Hedge Fund / Trading Firm or working in a co-located trading environment is a plus
- Computer Science / Engineering degree preferable