Biofire is a small Boston-based startup changing the way the world thinks about firearms. For 50+ years this massive industry has seen no core innovation and with more deaths from firearms than automobiles, it's about time for change.
Our smart gun, with a fingerprint sensor built in to recognize the owner, is that change. We can help prevent the 21,000 suicides and 800 child deaths from firearms every year by helping responsible owners secure their firearms in a way that is only possible by incorporating safety technology directly into the firearm.
We are Angel-backed by expert investors, lead by a Forbes 30 under 30 founder, MassChallenge backed, and have been featured in international press including the WSJ, NYT, FastCompany and many more. This is an opportunity to join an incredible moonshot team at a key moment in our growth and help us reinvent the status quo of gun violence.
This is a full-time role in Boston, MA. You must live in the area or be willing to relocate.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT TO WORK ON:
At the core of Biofire’s product is an electrical system that drives user authentication as well as other key features. This system needs to be highly reliable, fault tolerant and power conscious and thus requires high caliber engineering work. As our Firmware Engineer, you will be responsible for the software portion of this key system. This will include code development, requirements definition work, and development and implementation of rigorous testing and QA protocols to create firmware sufficient to pass 3rd party code review and a security audit.
You will have a leadership role within our rapidly growing Product team as the key advocate for the needs of the electrical firmware and an important role in developing the overall product design.
As Biofire grows, you may at various times be working independently on electrical development, managing a team of engineers, and working with external firms and contractors. In all cases, you will be given broad independence and decision-making power over this critical system.
WHAT WE EXPECT FROM YOU:
- 5+ years of industry experience designing embedded firmware for volume manufacturing
- The get-it-done, can-do attitude that is required to work in a small startup
- Expertise in developing clean, maintainable embedded firmware
- Background building systems for high-reliability applications such as medical devices or military/defense
- Experience with developing and implementing testing protocols for firmware
- Strong crypto knowledge, and best practices for secure embedded hardware development that can pass 3rd party audits
- Experience with firearms is a plus, but not required
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- A fast-paced, low-restriction and transparent working environment where you will have daily contact with the entire team.
- A team that respects and embraces your ideas and expertise and gives you the space and resources to take charge of a project and see it to its fullest extent
- The opportunity for broad insight and input into a fast-growing company in its formative stages that is poised to change an industry
- Premium medical benefits from a BCBS PPO
- Coworkers that are motivated by pursuing excellence, rather than the prospect of personal gain
- A flexible schedule: work the hours that you function best.
- Unlimited coffee, snacks, smoothies and other perks at our Downtown Boston office. Parking available, or easily accessible by the Red Line.
- All of the benefits of working out of CIC, a renowned startup community, including the opportunity to interact with other teams changing the world and a constantly-moving environment.
At Biofire we celebrate diversity of thought and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our team. We welcome qualified applicants of any background, and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, marital status, or Veteran status. We are an LGBTQ+ friendly workplace.