Tourism Australia + BuzzFeed Present...
...a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
The BuzzFeed/Tourism Australia Fellowship – renamed “The Mateship” – is an exciting three-month opportunity for writers, producers, and content creators to master the tools and techniques of social storytelling for multiple social platforms. “Mates” will participate in the ultimate road trip around Australia: an all-expenses paid adventure, visiting awesome, diverse destinations. Over the course of “The Mateship”, you will learn how to create engaging, sharable, travel-focused content in a variety of formats.
We're looking for travel junkies obsessed with Australia and the things people are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about online. Applicants must be residents or citizens of the United Kingdom, Germany, France or Italy. You should also have:
- A deep understanding of the digital media landscape, and knowledge of and a passion for the latest trends in social media (Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- A positive, curious, playful disposition.
- Resilience, self-confidence and a mature head on your shoulders.
- A willingness to take part in varied events and an openness to try new things.
- A genuine love of lifestyle journalism in all its forms.
- Enthusiasm for creating compelling short form video content for the web and other digital platforms.
- Strong English language skills, both written and verbal: your application needs to be in English.
- A valid, full and clean driving licence – and the ability to drive manual transmission vehicles.
In addition, it will be useful if you can demonstrate the following technical requirements:
- Experience with video production and familiarity shooting with iPhones and/or DSLR cameras, plus an understanding of basic audio and lighting gear.
- Experience producing and editing short video and memes on Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop and Premiere, After Effects a plus).
“Mates” will work with and learn from members of Buzz Team Australia, with the support of Tourism Australia. This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in seeing Australia, and pursuing a career in social media, publishing, or creative services. Mates will be engaged for up to three months on a fixed term paid contract based in our Sydney office – with travel around Australia.
- Write 2 - 3 paragraphs in English explaining why you've always wanted to visit Australia, and how you intend to apply your skill-set to create aspirational travel content.
- Create an entertaining video news bulletin (less than 90-second in length) that sells Australia to your country: the content must be presented in English.
- Create 2-3 examples of the type of content you’d like to produce in Australia (hint: think visually with social sharing in mind). These can be short videos, memes, comics, charts, illustrations, or written posts published on buzzfeed.com/community. Seek inspiration from your surroundings, showcase the cool things in your country: these don’t need to be Australia focused! Whatever you think will grab the attention of our audience who love to share content. DON’T FORGET TO INCLUDE EXAMPLES AND / OR LINKS IN YOUR APPLICATION.
Attach a CV and cross your fingers! Entries close August 18. Move fast!
Current Job Openings at The Mateship
BuzzFeed Entertainment Group