We are looking for a Design Director to help us create exceptional digital products for some of the world’s most exciting brands (Google, Snapchat, Facebook, Warner Brothers, and News UK, to name a few).
Design Directors lead large scale design initiatives; guiding multiple teams in high-stakes internal and external projects. They are aesthetic problem solvers who are able to delegate and inspire their design teams to reshape the visual and interactive landscape in radical new ways.
- You have 8+ years of experience designing digital products for consumer-focused tech and/or agencies with visual/UI experience strongly preferred
- You have 4+ years of digital design leadership experience, including managing teams/accounts, managing direct reports and owning your own strategic narrative and approach
- You have helped one or more large clients undergo large-scale, design-driven digital transformation
- You can demonstrate experience with leading a large team (10+ designers) working across multiple digital touchpoints, channels and categories for a large, consumer-facing brand.
- You must have experience creating and growing your relationships with very senior (including C-level) client stakeholders, and working with them to transform their teams and approaches as-needed.
- You have implemented design systems and/or other design infrastructure for your clients, and have driven the culture/process change needed to make them a success.
What You’ll Do
Design Excellence & Advocacy
- You are passionate and knowledgeable about visual/UI design, and have first-hand design experience that underlies your leadership skill set
- You know about UX design, product strategy and content strategy/copy, though you may not have performed those roles yourself in the past
- You have a clear design aesthetic that influences your work, but you’re also able to adapt your design approach to mesh with different brands and other designers’ ideas
- You have a people-centered design approach, and are constantly looking to improve your decisions through user and team feedback
- You have the ability and empathy to inspire others to deliver great work
- You are unafraid to challenge the status quo—whether client-side or internally— in order to fight for great work
- Continuously excel in quality and delivery output for our clients and our teams
- Ensure design output is on-brand, yet evolves the brand and delivers on strategic and business goals
- Establish and guide creative design approaches and outputs across numerous projects and accounts
- Oversee large-scale projects or accounts with multiple streams and disciplines, managing other leads as well as junior, mid and senior designers
- Partner with Strategy, Delivery, Client and Technology teams to ensure product vision is on-brand and delivers on strategic and business goals
- Identify needed skillsets with resourcing to staff projects and accounts accordingly
- Spend most of your time at the strategic and big-picture level, but can easily able to jump into design and detail when it matters
- Challenge our clients’ status quo and help them transform/move faster/make better work
People & Self Development
- Develop self and others to enable strategic capability development for our team and ourselves
- Anticipate and resolve conflicts effectively and productively
- Partner with other discipline/account leadership to ensure happy, challenged, and productive team(s)
- Mastery of managing individuals
- Be a team player and communicate and listen effectively with each other and with clients in order to solve problems and make sound decisions
- Set overall strategic/conceptual design direction for multiple large accounts
- Able to manage a variety of personality types
- Positively contribute to overall business growth through pitches and proposal development within existing accounts and for new accounts
- Seen as a steady & collaborative leader in the department
- Trusted senior client partner providing consistent sound business and strategic advice
- Persuasive and professional communicator who is able to present ideas in a clear, concise, engaging manner in any forum
- Sees opportunity for new business on existing accounts and is instrumental in selling additional work
Company & Culture
- Proactively strengthen and promote Beyond’s design culture and make Beyond a great company to work for
- Identify, attract and retain top design talent
- Nurture relationships to bolster agency culture outside the office
- Strive to be highly visible within the design/agency community, both internally and externally
- Grow and strengthen relationships with other teams and design counterparts from other offices
What we offer you:
- A team of passionate people who genuinely care about what they do and the standard of work they produce
- Opportunities to make a difference in a nimble, highly productive environment
- Inter-office travel opportunities
- Competitive salary, flexible benefit schemes such as healthcare & dental, workplace pension, 25 days holiday, plus your birthday off for free and a paid office closure between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- Monthly social events organised by the Beyond social committee
***We are open to talking about flexible working at interview stage. Want to know more? Ask us when you apply!***
A link to your portfolio and LinkedIn profile should be provided to be considered for this position.
If you think this role is a match for you, please submit your CV and optionally a cover letter, outlining how you meet the requirements for the job and explain how you would make a great addition to the Beyond team. If you would like to know more about the role, please reach out to email@example.com via LinkedIn.