Let’s face it, a company whose mission is human transformation better have some fresh thinking about the employer/employee relationship.
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
We’re looking for a driven platform software engineer who cares deeply about their craft, and who wants to use their skills to bring about positive change in the world. Someone who is comfortable in the rapidly changing nature of a high pace environment but also adept at moving relentlessly forward: doing what needs to be done to unblock projects that truly deliver value to our users.
Our team is responsible for an ecosystem of innovative digital interventions that drive member engagement and partner retention. These interventions include assessments, resources, reflective practices, and other modalities that expand learning's value beyond coaching sessions. Our distinctiveness lies in the close collaboration across product, engineering, and behavioral science. We thus play a crucial role in enabling BetterUp to help everyone live with greater clarity, purpose and passion.
As part of the platform organization, we work in a data driven environment and strive to build systems and modalities that other teams can leverage to quickly build new experiences for our users. As a result, we collaborate with other squads in BetterUp to design, architect, implement, and monitor new product offerings enabling people to connect and flourish.
This is a role based out of the Netherlands (hybrid remote and in our Amsterdam office)
What you'll do:
- Lead: Plan and execute projects and initiatives involving multiple developers and complex requirements, prioritizing strategically. Identify, define, and solve strategic problems, thinking holistically about the system.
- Craft: Consistently deliver code that sets the standard for quality and maintainability. Maintain awareness of industry trends and tools. Actively push the entire team to follow industry best practices and ensure the codebase maintains a high level of quality, security, etc.
- Empower: Enable team members to answer questions with data systems and processes that leverage quantitative and qualitative inputs. Leave a trail of documentation & screencasts that enables others to ramp up on complex systems and functions efficiently.
- Mentor: Consistently mentor other engineers at all levels on the team. Adept at teaching and training engineers in software engineering practices. Think critically about and help drive an effective and inclusive engineering culture.
- Collaborate: Answer business questions and influence product roadmap decisions using data. Spur meaningful discussion around complex issues. Proactively remedy communication issues. Build strong partnerships with other functions on the product team and the broader organization.
Attributes we look for:
- Alignment with BetterUp mission of enabling self-driven behavior change
- A high degree of initiative and ownership, combined with the ability to navigate ambiguity and adapt quickly to change
- Experience working collaboratively in a cross-functional team and with people at all levels in an organization
- 15+ years of relevant technical experience, at least part of which in a startup / remote work environment with a distributed team
- Experience building & supporting production-grade consumer applications with a modern web technology stack
- Experienced in Agile product development processes (SCRUM, Kanban, Lean Startup, etc)
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences, verbally and in writing
- Bachelors Degree or Masters Degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field
What will make you successful in your time at BetterUp:
- You have radical curiosity and you love to learn new things
- You seek feedback and turn it into action
- You can work autonomously while being great at collaboration
- You mentor and empower others around you
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Workdays (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.