Let’s face it, a company whose mission is human transformation better have some fresh thinking about the employer/employee relationship.
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
We’re looking for a driven software engineer who cares deeply about their craft, and who wants to use their skills to bring about positive change in the world while working in a high performing organization using modern software development approaches. Someone who is comfortable in the rapidly changing nature of a startup environment but also adept at moving relentlessly forward: doing what needs to be done to unblock projects that truly deliver value to our users. At BetterUp we delight in supporting and pushing each other to bring out the best in our colleagues, and would love someone to join the team who shares our passions for empathy, excellence, and continuous improvement. We also deeply understand that a key to peak performance is balance, and our culture is focused on providing the support our people need to be able to bring their whole selves to bear in service of our mission.
This is a remote role, anywhere in the US!
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with team members, engineers, and stakeholders to help build a world-class engineering organization
- Own all aspects of developer experience spanning onboarding, tooling and environments, testing, CI/CD, and many other systems and products that our engineers rely on
- Participate in planning and organizing efforts across the engineering organization to prioritize tech debt and other quality-of-life improvements
- Connect Developer Experience work to business value and communicate to stakeholders
- Continuously push the team to improve our processes and coding practices
- Updating, improving, and pruning content in our knowledge management systems
- Think like an owner to prioritize your own time amongst many competing priorities in a fast moving startup environment
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- Alignment with BetterUp mission of enabling self-driven behavior change
- Thrive in a remote work environment
- You’ve worked with and iterated on DORA metrics
- You’re equally comfortable with debugging a sticky issue in production and reworking onboarding for new engineers
- Strong experience with automated testing patterns and continuous integration and delivery
- Proficient with modern web development technologies and patterns
- Familiarity with agile product development processes
- Strong verbal and written communication, great at documentation
- Bonus points for experience with DataDog, Cortex.io, Github Actions
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- Bachelor's Degree or Master's Degree in Computer Science or related Engineering field preferred
- 10+ years relevant experience
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, Ember.js, Gitflow, Docker or related technologies
- Solid grasp of Agile product development processes (SCRUM, Kanban, Lean Startup, etc).
- Experience in current web technologies (HTTP, REST, Web Sockets, etc).
- Hands-on experience designing and running microservices
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, demonstrate ownership, and lend your expertise to guiding the technical product roadmap
- Frontline maintainer of "production" consumer application (volume, support, debugging).
- Strong experience with automated testing patterns
- Alignment with BetterUp’s mission of enabling self-driven behavior change
- Strong verbal and written communication
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Company wide Summer & Winter breaks
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
At BetterUp, we compensate our employees fairly for their work. Base salary is determined by job-related experience, education/training, residence location, as well as market indicators. The range below is representative of base salary only and does not include equity, sales bonus plans (when applicable) and benefits. This range may be modified in the future.
The base salary range for this role is $166,448 – $249,672