Let’s face it, a company whose mission is human transformation better have some fresh thinking about the employer/employee relationship.
We do. We can’t cram it all in here, but you’ll start noticing it from the first interview.
Even our candidate experience is different. And when you get an offer from us (and accept it), you get way more than a paycheck. You get a personal BetterUp Coach, a development plan, a trained and coached manager, the most amazing team you’ve ever met (yes, each with their own personal BetterUp Coach), and most importantly, work that matters.
This makes for a remarkably focused and fulfilling work experience. Frankly, it’s not for everyone. But for people with fire in their belly, it’s a game-changing, career-defining, soul-lifting move.
Join us and we promise you the most intense and fulfilling years of your career, doing life-changing work in a fun, inventive, soulful culture.
If that sounds exciting—and the job description below feels like a fit—we really should start talking.
BetterUp’s Privacy & Compliance Office is a small but diverse group of privacy and legal professionals passionate about providing transparency and control to our members, and dedicated to providing a world-class privacy experience to both members and employees. Reporting to the Head of Legal & Privacy, as Senior Counsel, Privacy, Product & Compliance, you will help drive BetterUp’s privacy strategy by guiding cross-functional teams on privacy issues and helping to support our customer trust-centered Go-To-Market teams. The Privacy & Compliance Office works as a collaborative team in a fast-paced environment where a sense of humor, extreme ownership, and creativity are the cornerstones of daily life.
What you’ll do:
- In partnership with the Head of Legal & Privacy, provide strategic advice to address privacy and security risks while supporting customer focus and business growth and focus on a world class privacy program
- Actively monitor and advise on global privacy requirements and recommendations in connection with emerging privacy and data security laws
- Design, implement, and iterate on policies, processes and procedures to improve the legal team’s engagement model with the product organization
- Actively monitor, and ensure compliance with, all global and domestic regulations applicable to the business
- Review and draft a variety of agreements related to privacy including vendor and customer agreements
- Engage with customer privacy and security teams as needed
- Manage our small but mighty privacy team with a hyper focus on creative privacy solutions
- Drive implementation of regulatory and compliance initiatives such as developing project plans to manage product-related changes, or response to changes in applicable laws
- Provide proactive and creative legal guidance to facilitate launch of new and innovative products and services while ensuring all privacy and data protection risks are properly mitigated
- Manage, maintain, and defend BetterUp’s intellectual property portfolio
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- 10 years work experience as a licensed attorney, with at least 5-7 years advising on global privacy and compliance matters
- In-house and people management experience required
- An interest or experience in the wellness space and an eagerness to create thoughtful and creative solutions
- JD with active membership of a State Bar
- Strong understanding of technology and law, with emphasis in cloud industry technologies, IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS
- CIPP/US, CIPP/E, and/or CIPM certifications strongly preferred
- Experience with the ISO 27018, 27701 certification process and program management preferred
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Company wide Summer & Winter breaks
- Year-round charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.