At BetterUp, we give people the coaching, support, and push they need to reach peak performance and unlock their limitless potential, in all they do, personally and professionally. We work with world-class experts and Coaches, pioneer innovative technology, and foster human touch at scale to fuel the BetterUp experience, and make growth and development achievable for all. We believe that practicing strong mental fitness is a never-ending practice of maintaining and building the strengths that proceed health, happiness, and success.
And we’re looking to build out a diverse and ambitious team of go-getters to join us as we grow. Exciting opportunities lie ahead, as well as work that makes a real difference — not only in the lives of others, but for your own personal and professional growth, too. Join us as we continue to bring BetterUp to more people everywhere, and create impactful change for our members and for you.
team, to help guide BetterUp’s growth and success in the coming chapter. As our VP of BU Labs, you will define the strategy and vision for this organization, spanning research areas including original, publishable research in the areas of whole person flourishing; assessment and measurement of whole person growth; and behavioral science research to fuel product development. You will partner with a wide array of cross-functional leaders across our broader R&D organization, our coaching organization, and our go to market teams to prioritize your research roadmap.
- Define the scientific agenda for BetterUp Labs in its next chapter.
- Set the roadmap for the team’s successful execution against that agenda.
- Inspire greatness from a brilliant, multidisciplinary team of behavior scientists. Support their growth as scientists, leaders, and professionals. Nurture a culture of inclusion and psychological safety, one that encourages risk-taking and the embrace of tough, ambiguous problem spaces.
- Scale the team from its size today – about ten scientists. Scaling includes not only recruiting new talent but defining theorganizational design that will allow a growing team to maximize its impact.
- Serve as a public-facing thought leader for our brand.
- Cultivate academic partnerships with cutting-edge researchers aligned to our mission, scientific goals, and brand.
- Collaborate seamlessly with a wide array of peers and stakeholders to prioritize activities to meet the needs of the business.
- Lead engagement and recruiting for our scientific advisory board, which today includes the world’s greatest minds in our field.
- PhD or MD in the behavioral sciences. This includes psychology, behavioral economics, psychiatry, neuroscience, learning sciences, and more.
- 15+ years of leadership experience, spanning both academic and corporate environments. Experience managing managers.
- 8+ years in corporate work, with a track record of successful scientific research and leadership in those roles, including via mutually valuable cross-functional partnerships with applied/corporate peers; and with technology and/or product development stakeholders in particular.
- Deep and demonstrated expertise overseeing design and development of applied measurement tools, ideally including test, assessment, and/or survey psychometrics, validation, data-modeling, and people-centric analyses. Experience conducting or
leading research streams on global, cross-cultural populations, with group/team/multi-level populations preferred.
- Skilled communicator of technical and scientific concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Publications in academic and/or popular outlets on original research relevant to whole person development (includes the full array of adult development, from personal wellbeing to professional performance).
- Excellent customer-facing skills.
- Stellar reputation in your industry for innovation and scientific leadership across multiple disciplines relevant to our work
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.