At BetterUp, we give people the coaching, support, and push they need to reach peak performance and unlock their limitless potential, in all they do, personally and professionally. We work with world-class experts and Coaches, pioneer innovative technology, and foster human touch at scale to fuel the BetterUp experience, and make growth and development achievable for all. We believe that practicing strong mental fitness is a never-ending practice of maintaining and building the strengths that proceed health, happiness, and success.
And we’re looking to build out a diverse and ambitious team of go-getters to join us as we grow. Exciting opportunities lie ahead, as well as work that makes a real difference — not only in the lives of others, but for your own personal and professional growth, too. Join us as we continue to bring BetterUp to more people everywhere, and create impactful change for our members and for you.
The Head of Total Rewards is a critical role for our rapidly growing organization to drive strategic compensation decisions and deliver creative, competitive, and analytically driven compensation programs. This role will serve as BetterUp’s subject matter expert to ensure fair and equitable pay, and create sustainable and competitive incentive compensation in alignment to our high impact behaviors. Our HR team thrives in a fast paced environment, can navigate working through ambiguity with an owner’s mindset, and require the ability to create and build programs and processes that will scale as we grow.
What you'll do:
- As the Compensation expert, you will lead the development, implementation and administration of all compensation programs (including merit cycles and equity refreshes)
- Be the trusted advisor to leadership on all compensation decisions and strategy (must be able to influence and drive decisions at executive leadership levels)
- Drive market analysis and benchmarking for current and future roles on all aspects of compensation
- Partners with HR and management to develop effective promotion and retention strategies
- Ensure accurate and relevant survey data to maintain and update BetterUp compensation bands; implement Advanced Compensation model in Workday
- Manage holistic equity program including annual refreshes; works in close partnership with our finance team, as well as support and educate current and former employees with the options exercise process
- Develop strategy and implementation of all operational aspects of variable pay program
- Partners closely with recruiting to offer competitive compensation packages and hire top talent
- Manage benefits portfolio and vendor relationships
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- Undergraduate degree in human resources or finance and/or PHR/SPHR, preferred
- Master’s in Human Resources or MBA, preferred
- 10-12 years of compensation experience (or consulting equivalent)
- Prior experience with a mix of startups and mature organizations, experience supporting a company going IPO preferred
- Experience building and managing a global team
- Extensive knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods and financial modeling.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with Radford Salary Survey Database.
- Fully versed with Workday: HCM, Benefits, and Performance as well as Advanced Compensation.
- Up to date on federal, state and location requirements.
- Rolled out global compensation programs.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at a time.
- Travel expected 25% of the time.
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.