At BetterUp, we give people the coaching, support, and push they need to reach peak performance and unlock their limitless potential, in all they do, personally and professionally. We work with world-class experts and Coaches, pioneer innovative technology, and foster human touch at scale to fuel the BetterUp experience, and make growth and development achievable for all. We believe that practicing strong mental fitness is a never-ending practice of maintaining and building the strengths that proceed health, happiness, and success.
And we’re looking to build out a diverse and ambitious team of go-getters to join us as we grow. Exciting opportunities lie ahead, as well as work that makes a real difference — not only in the lives of others, but for your own personal and professional growth, too. Join us as we continue to bring BetterUp to more people everywhere, and create impactful change for our members and for you.
Founded in 2013, BetterUp is an global-scale behavior development platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. The company helps managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. BetterUp mission is to help people everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion.
As work is fundamentally changing, companies are realizing the importance of investing in their people. The Covid pandemic has accelerated this dynamic. BetterUp is defining and leading a critical new category as work fundamentally changes in the next decade, placing coaching and care as the cornerstone of modern employee experience. Furthermore, the lines between professional and personal growth are rapidly converging. The enterprise market has been BetterUp’s point-of-entry, but the consumer opportunity is an even bigger addressable customer base.
BetterUp’s SaaS platform combines world-class coaching with AI technology and evidence based behavioral science to deliver personalized behavior change at scale, improving the wellbeing, adaptability and effectiveness of people. The product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists. BetterUp is transforming the way companies approach talent development at high-performing organizations like Airbnb, Genentech, LinkedIn, Workday, Warner Bros, Symantec, Chevron, BlackRock, IBM, etc.
Betterup is backed by ICONIQ Growth, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Threshold Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, Workday Ventures, Sapphire Ventures, and SV Angel. Earlier this year the company raised $125 million Series D fundraise bringing the company’s valuation to over $1.7 billion.
Current revenues exceed $100 million—and are more than doubling annually—with projections to hit the $1B mark by 2024.
Opportunity for Impact
BetterUp is a place for personal growth and professional development, with an opportunity to become the trusted brand for self-actualization, peak performance, and wellbeing. The General Manager, Direct-to-Consumer (D2C) will leverage the success of the enterprise-focused organization to continue building a robust D2C model that services the needs of individuals across professional development, mental health, sleep, and nutrition among other areas. As demonstrated by their early D2C momentum, consumers are seeking personal development at unprecedented rates and BetterUp is poised to capture existing market share while creating a whole new category of consumer solutions.
Role and Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Co-Founder & Chief Executive Officer, Alexi Robichaux, the General Manager, D2C will be responsible for leading the next stages of strategic growth, innovation and execution of BetterUp’s newest vertical tailored for consumer use. This newly-created P&L owning leadership position will play a pivotal role in supporting the Company’s continued track record of strong revenue growth by deeply expanding its product offering and addressable market. By leveraging existing and growing new Growth, Product, Engineering and Design teams, this leader will continue to launch new experiences and personalized offerings for individuals.
Specifically, this role will be responsible for the following:
- Work closely with the leadership team and cross-functional partners in order to create a lasting vision and a robust business model for the D2C product while effectively leveraging existing B2B solutions
- Build the D2C business into a high growth, high revenue unit well into the hundreds of millions
- Own and oversee all activities associated with the D2C business, including marketing, product, engineering, design and content strategy
- Set the early go-to-market strategy that optimizes for sustainable growth and retention with a key focus on levers like pricing and packaging. Learn from the data, and adjust strategy accordingly
- Drive all growth marketing and retention and loyalty initiatives across the business; establish the consumer brand for BetterUp
- Actively drive and participate in cross-channel conversations to ensure holistic business decision making in topics like pricing, branding, product mix, community and more
- Through a deep understanding of the customer behaviour, develop a robust, thorough strategy to attract new customers, maintain customers and grow assets under management by leveraging market knowledge, and data analytics
- Lead the launch of new consumer experiences to support the growth of the business
- Facilitate the recruitment, retention and professional development of high caliber employees and build a winning culture where the best people want to work and succeed together
- Maintain a deep knowledge of the industry and relationships with key players within the coaching, leadership development and behavioral science communities as well as other important stakeholders
- 10+ years of experience in a product or growth role with digital consumer businesses. Consumer apps, Marketplaces and Subscription business models are preferred
- A hiring magnet who can effectively communicate the BetterUp vision and attract other consumer leaders
- Demonstrated history of successfully managing and growing a tech-enabled consumer business with P&L responsibility
- Deep understanding of Product and/or Growth Marketing is a plus
- A problem solver and data-driven decision maker who is able to interpret data and draw thoughtful conclusions to implement new strategies that ladder up to business goals
- Demonstrated business judgment and decision-making skills; ability to identify, prioritize, and articulate highest impact initiatives
- Excellent communications skills (written and oral) to drive recommendations, articulate tradeoffs, and communicate plans to senior executives
- Passionate about and committed to BetterUp’s mission to "help every person pursue their life with clarity, purpose, and passion"
- Embodies BetterUp’s values; Courage, Craftsmanship, Playfulness, Grit, Empathy, Zest
- Energized by the opportunity to hire, develop, mentor, and coach team members and help them realize their full potential
- Creates a learning environment where people continually grow i.e. you are a human “sponge”
- Analytical and structured thinker; geeks out on the science of behavior change, organizational leadership, peak performance, and mental health.
- Has relentlessly high standards and compulsively pursues self-mastery
- Thinks big and has strong convictions but also has a bias towards (and supporting track record of) egoless collaboration and extreme ownership
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.