BetterUp is a mobile-based coaching platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. We help managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. Our mission is to help people everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion.
Our product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists to bring evidence-based learning to professionals everywhere. We’re already transforming the way companies approach talent development at high-performing organizations like Airbnb, Genentech, Mars, LinkedIn, and Workday. Let’s build together!
About the Position:
As Head of Design, you’ll lead product design at BetterUp, championing the user in addition to growing, coaching, and managing a team of talented designers. You’ll sit on the product leadership team and be responsible for communicating the priorities of the product design team, defining goals and ensuring alignment to help establish a shared vision across the company.
Ideally you’re well respected for your portfolio, but take even more pride in the accomplishments and growth of your team. You’ll be responsible for nurturing the team by developing its culture by fostering talent, ensuring that designers at all levels have ample opportunities for growth and development.
What you bring:
- Suggested 5+ years experience managing managers
- Proven ability to transform defined customer needs and business goals into estimated plans with appropriate resources
- Experience coaching teams through the process of planning, navigating trade-offs, and creating meaningful user experiences
- An in-depth understanding of human-centered design methods, design thinking techniques, and design tools
- A track record of getting others to participate in, and contribute to, the design process
- Demonstrated presentation and communication style appropriate for executive-level audiences
- Ability to create a learning environment where designers grow and expand skill-sets, techniques and tools
Twelve months into the role you will celebrate...
- Working with leadership and cross-functional partners to define a lasting vision for the product
- Actively aligning efforts to achieve said vision, including new business opportunities
- Creating communications which explain design, value, and philosophy on higher-level topics (approach, framework)
- Leading the design team in developing patents to celebrate and protect our work
- Growing our design teams with in quantity and coaching
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.