BetterUp is a mobile-based coaching platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. We help managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. Our mission is to help professionals everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion. Our product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists to bring evidence-based learning to professionals everywhere. We’re already transforming the way companies approach talent development at high-performing organizations like Airbnb, Genentech, Mars, LinkedIn, and Workday. Let’s build together!
BetterUp is looking for an exceptional individual who is mission-driven and team-oriented to join our legal team as Associate Commercial Counsel. This position reports to our Commercial Counsel and will have a broad range of responsibilities primarily supporting sales. Our ideal candidate is a collaborative, business-minded lawyer who is focused on execution, prepared to lead on important company deals, and is comfortable making thoughtful, creative decisions. The role will require a high degree of self-sufficiency, but also someone who enjoys being part of a supportive team dedicated to providing top legal service to our internal clients so BetterUp can continue to help professionals pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion. We are a small, growing legal team handling very high volume. You must be willing to roll up your sleeves and should enjoy a fast-paced, start-up environment. The ideal candidate will demonstrate our values in every interaction with our internal and external customers.
- Negotiate and draft a high volume of orders, vendor agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
- Support long lasting customer relationships by building a deep understanding of our business and collaboratively working with customers in support of their goals.
- Partner closely with sales and other stakeholders through the customer procurement process.
- Negotiate and draft complex technology sales agreements, vendor and supplier agreements, and a variety of other commercial contracts including professional services agreements, and amendments.
- Advise on risks and liabilities of proposed commercial transactions and devise creative and practical legal solutions to meet business objectives.
- Interface with Finance, Sales Ops, Privacy, and Information Security.
- Manage BetterUp execution of legal documents.
If you have some or all of the following please apply:
- Comfort and familiarity working closely with a sales team and at ease interacting with a range of global customers and partners from small to enterprise.
- Demonstrated experience as a self-driven attorney who can work independently with excellent business judgment and strategic thinking.
- Ability to prioritize and manage business expectations in high volume environment.
- California bar membership or Registered In-House Counsel.
- Minimum 3 years legal experience focused on commercial law, preferably SaaS and in-house.
- Privacy experience a plus.
- Ability to handle a high volume of deals and requests.
- Focused experience with B2B SaaS contract drafting and negotiation a plus.
- Clear communicator with ability to distill complex issues in a simple manner.
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Full coverage for medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid time off
- Per year:
- 14 paid annual holidays
- 5 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.