BetterUp is a mobile-based coaching platform that brings personalized professional coaching to employees at all levels. We help managers lead better, teams perform better, and employees thrive personally and inspire professionally. Our mission is to help professionals everywhere pursue their lives with greater clarity, purpose, and passion. Our product was developed by a team of leading behavioral scientists, researchers, and technologists to bring evidence-based learning to professionals everywhere. We’re already transforming the way companies approach talent development at high-performing organizations like Airbnb, Genentech, Mars, LinkedIn, and Workday. Let’s build together!
We are looking for a motivated and mission-driven individual that will be integral to the success of the company as our first Payroll Manager. You will be responsible for day-to-day payroll activities, ensuring that complete, accurate and timely payments are delivered to both US and Canadian employees. You will be instrumental in the development, implementation and maintenance of company policies and will continually drive improvements in process and automation. Our ideal candidate is business-minded and thrives in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with HR and Finance teams to maintain accurate payroll information by collecting, verifying with the system of record, calculating and entering data into TriNet, including new employees, terminations, LOA, transfers, promotions, variable compensation, etc.
- Prepare and process domestic, multi-state payroll through TriNet / Workday; ensure 100% accuracy of each pay run and manage US and Canadian payrolls
- Ensure complete, accurate and timely payroll tax filings, including W-2s. Reconcile and process funding to 401(k), FSA and HSA providers
- Prepare accurate payroll journal entries within Quickbooks / Workday; maintain complete and accurate account reconciliations, and support month-end close activities
- Create and maintain strong relationships with cross-functional teams including Finance, HR, and payroll partners and partner with these teams to establish best-in-class processes for BetterUp payroll, including related systems
- Responsible for all payroll and payroll-related tax compliance
- Lead 401(k) audits and workers compensation audits; assist with annual audits
- Provide employees and stakeholders with excellent customer service while adhering to company policies
- Actively contribute and participate in the implementation of Workday Payroll as a key stakeholder
- Establish and maintain company policies and business processes
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting/Finance, Human Resources or a related field, CPP or equivalent relevant certification
- Minimum of 10 years of multi-state payroll experience in private and preferably in public company environments; international payroll and system implementation experience preferred
- Experienced and knowledgeable with Payroll Tax Laws and Regulations
- Experience with the accounting entries required for recording payroll activities
- Must have advanced proficiency in Workday
- Excellent customer service and relationship-building skills
- Strong project management and organizational skills; must be detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize multiple projects, meet deadlines, solve problems analytically, and show discretion with confidential information
- Excellent PC skills (Word, Power Point, etc.); advanced Excel skills
- Strong planning and organization skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; adaptable to flex and change as business needs and priorities change
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Full coverage for medical, dental and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid time off
- Per year:
- 14 paid annual holidays
- 5 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.