Better Place Forests is completely redesigning the end-of-life experience, bringing fresh thinking and a much-needed focus on customer experience to the stale, fragmented and unfriendly end-of-life industry. As part of this effort, we’re building America’s first conservation spreading forests for families and individuals who choose cremation, offering a sustainable alternative to costly traditional burial while tackling a market opportunity >$600B in the U.S. alone.
80% of the 75M baby boomers in the U.S. are choosing cremation but do not have a beautiful, private and permanently-protected place to return their ashes to the earth. Instead of graves and tombstones, Better Place Forests incorporates ashes into the base of beautiful trees in the most iconic locations in North America. Every customer who chooses a tree helps to protect and preserve that forest forever. Through our Impact Tree program, we also plant additional trees to help with reforestation efforts.
With thousands of customers and rapid growth, Better Place Forests is creating a movement that is removing the stigma around end-of-life planning. We’re backed by the investors behind Tesla, Peloton, SpaceX and Blue Bottle and we’ve received national coverage in publications such as The New York Times, Fast Company and Business Insider. To learn more about Better Place Forests, visit www.betterplaceforests.com.
“In a time when conservation is becoming increasingly urgent, it’s rather poetic to protect a tree with your remains, secure in the knowledge that more are being planted in your honor.” - Fast Company
“Tree burial is good for the environment, the location is more beautiful than a traditional graveyard — and it’s cheaper as well.” - The New York Times
This role in a nutshell:
We’re looking for an experienced Sr. Product Manager to expand our product offering. Over the last 9 months we have evolved to a digital-first approach to forest launches and sales. We currently offer online forest tours for all three forests that allow customers to connect with a sales associate and walk through the purchase process online. This model accounts for around 70% of revenue.
Our goal next year is to expand the number of forests and product offerings for our customers.
In this critical role you will inform the strategy to grow our product offering. This includes how to grow and optimize our online experience to better serve our customers and how to grow our product offering in-forest. You will spend part of your time working directly with design and engineering to enhance our online forest tour and build out new digital products for our customers. Additionally, you will spend time designing new products in-forest that will enhance the customer experience.
You will partner with marketing, forest experience, sales, customer care, and our land team to understand new product opportunities. When defining new product offerings, you will develop both digital and physical implementation strategies. You will partner with forest experience, design, and engineering to ensure the new product offering is feasible and scalable. You will operate within an Agile, rapid-development environment with other product teams to launch new offerings. You will own the roll out, including tracking success metrics.
You will think customer-first. This includes ensuring a compelling offering is designed and developed that has the customer in mind. The offering must be enticing and accessible to our customers. You will be user research driven and use market and competitive analysis to define the roadmap.
This role reports directly to the Head of Digital Product.
Your background and skills - you have:
- 8+ years proven track record of product management experience building consumer mobile and web experiences.
- Substantial experience working in e-commerce; familiarity with retail and/or manufacturing a plus.
- Experience as a collaborative leader inspiring effective teams.
- A strong passion for developing delightful experiences that solve meaningful user problems.
- A consistent track record of driving product vision.
- Strategic thinking skills that can break down complex problems into relevant, actionable steps.
- A bias for action, orient for results, and enjoy analyzing data to drive growth in key user metrics.
- Planned and prioritized roadmaps with a focus on clearly articulating trade offs.
- Experience with agile software development methodologies, values, and procedures.
- A people-first mindset (our customers, our teams, our partners).
- An ability to travel up to 25% to our forests.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; the ability to present the emerging strategy for your team is extremely important.
- Excellent facilitation skills with ability to influence change at higher levels.
- Ability to assimilate and learn complex processes in a changing and dynamic work environment on a steep learning curve.
- A proven track record of working in a fast-growing and fast-moving company, able to create process and vision, rather than manage to what has already been defined.
- Track record of owning and delivering on large strategic projects - you can see the big picture and deliver on the details.
If you are intrigued, please apply now!
Our work environment is highly collaborative and transparent - we believe in centralized data and decentralized decision making. We maintain high standards for our own and each other’s work and are all deeply committed to the mission - while having fun in the process.
If this sounds like you, please send along an up to date resume and/or LinkedIn profile.