Location: Candidates must be local to and/or able to commute to Point Arena.
About Better Place Forests:
Better Place Forests is completely redesigning the end-of-life experience, bringing fresh thinking and a much-needed focus on customer experience to the staid, fragmented and unfriendly end-of-life industry. We're building America's first conservation spreading forests for families and individuals who choose cremation, offering a sustainable alternative to costly traditional burial while tackling a market opportunity >$600B in the U.S. alone.
80% of the 75M baby boomers in the U.S. are choosing cremation but do not have a beautiful, private and permanently-protected place to return their ashes to the earth. Instead of graves and tombstones, Better Place Forests incorporates ashes into the base of beautiful trees in the most iconic locations in North America. Every customer who chooses a tree helps to protect and preserve that forest forever. Through our Impact Tree program, we also plant additional trees to help with reforestation efforts.
With thousands of customers and rapid growth, Better Place Forests is creating a movement that is removing the stigma around end-of-life planning. We're backed by the investors behind Tesla, Peloton, SpaceX and Blue Bottle and we've received national coverage in publications such as The New York Times, Fast Company and Business Insider. To learn more about Better Place Forests, visit www.betterplaceforests.com.
"In a time when conservation is becoming increasingly urgent, it's rather poetic to protect a tree with your remains, secure in the knowledge that more are being planted in your honor." - Fast Company
"Tree burial is good for the environment, the location is more beautiful than a traditional graveyard — and it's cheaper as well." - The New York Times
This role in a nutshell:
This role reports directly to the Lead Arborist and in close collaboration with Better Place Forests Stewards as part of the overall Forest Experience team. The role includes a wide range of forest operations, including maintaining and improving the aesthetics of your home forest (both the trees and landscape of the forest and the functions of our visitor center and general operations) while also working remotely as we develop new forests. This role involves up to 1-2 weeks of travel a month at various times throughout the year.
More specifically, the role and responsibilities include:
- Operate and care for chippers, chain saws, blowers, and various power tools
- Clear tree limbs and brush
- Build and maintain trails
- Proactively mitigate invasive species
- Work on construction projects
- Ability and desire to execute plans with little to no oversight
- Assist in physical forest openings between multiple work groups
- Assist with physical and digital tree inventory
- Manage local contractor teams
- Review and summarize consultant reports and incorporate new information into project implementation
- Employ a high degree of service ethic and professional communication when interacting with customers
- General care and maintenance of visitor center, UTV, site generator, and other equipment at the forest
- General landscaping
- Site preparation for our Memorial Ceremonies
- Bachelors Degree in Forestry, or similar land/environmental management field
- 1-3 years of experience in tree care, parks and/or open space maintenance
- Engaging, empathetic and a high EQ
- Self-motivated and skilled in maintaining conservation land
- Strong communication skills and ability to work in an energetic and collaborative environment
- Ability to perform physical labor outdoors in harsh conditions
- You are able to lift 50 pounds
Sample success metrics:
- Identify needs to enhance the forest experience
- Open desirable areas and inventory
- Diligent management of third party contractors, deliverables, and invoice payment
- Deliver physical product projects within a timeframe to achieve common goals
- Executing request for proposals for forest-based consultants (biologists, surveyors, etc...)
Also helpful to possess:
- Arborist certification
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Possesses 4-Wheel drive vehicle