Better Place Forests is completely redesigning the end-of-life experience, bringing fresh thinking and a much-needed focus on customer experience to the stale, fragmented and unfriendly end-of-life industry. As part of this effort, we’re building America’s first conservation spreading forests for families and individuals who choose cremation, offering a sustainable alternative to costly traditional burial while tackling a market opportunity >$600B in the U.S. alone.
80% of the 75M baby boomers in the U.S. are choosing cremation but do not have a beautiful, private and permanently-protected place to return their ashes to the earth. Instead of graves and tombstones, Better Place Forests incorporates ashes into the base of beautiful trees in the most iconic locations in North America. Every customer who chooses a tree helps to protect and preserve that forest forever. Through our Impact Tree program, we also plant additional trees to help with reforestation efforts.
With thousands of customers and rapid growth, Better Place Forests is creating a movement that is removing the stigma around end-of-life planning. We’re backed by the investors behind Tesla, Peloton, SpaceX and Blue Bottle and we’ve received national coverage in publications such as The New York Times, Fast Company and Business Insider. To learn more about Better Place Forests, visit www.betterplaceforests.com.
“In a time when conservation is becoming increasingly urgent, it’s rather poetic to protect a tree with your remains, secure in the knowledge that more are being planted in your honor.” - Fast Company
“Tree burial is good for the environment, the location is more beautiful than a traditional graveyard — and it’s cheaper as well.” - The New York Times
This role in a nutshell:
We’re looking for an experienced project manager to help manage the digital launch of new forests. As BPF continues to grow, we have evolved to a digital-first approach to forest launches. Customers have the option to purchase a tree online via an Online Forest Tour and before a forest has opened for in-person tours. This allows customers to lock in the best selection of inventory early. With this model, there is a lot to be done to ensure a forest is ready to begin sales.
In this critical role, you will own the forest launch playbook - which includes everything needed both in forest and across teams to enable BPF to begin offering memorial trees to customers online. You will create and drive the process needed to systematically launch new forests, to enable us to launch 10 forests next year and 40 the following year.
This role will be a combination of project management including gathering tasks, documenting dependencies, triaging risk, and creating visibility across the organization as well as understanding the opportunities and challenges that each new forest presents and fold that into the planning. This is a highly cross-functional role and you will work closely with the marketing team, land team, product team, sales team, customer care and forest operations team.
You will spend time in each new forest helping to assess its readiness, coordinate and collaborate with contractors on photo shoots, serve as eyes-on-the-ground for HQ, and raise areas of concern to leadership. This role will require up to 50% travel.
This role reports directly to the Head of Product & Engineering.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Own and evolve the forest launch playbook.
- Document and track tasks and dependencies.
- Proactively identify and anticipate barriers. Assertively and creatively remove obstacles that slow down or prevent programs from delivering against project objectives.
- Provide clear communication and visibility on status and risks.
- Be a key partner in thinking through evolving requirements and downstream dependencies.
- Coordinate across marketing, product, land, sales, customer care, and forest ops to make sure that all parties are on track with project requirements, deadlines, and schedules.
- Work side-by-side with photographers to advise and gather digital assets.
- Provide leadership, prioritization, and guidance in-forest.
- Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of projects.
- Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques.
- Establishing effective project communication plans and ensure their execution.
- Predict resources needed to reach objectives and manage resources in an efficient manner.
- Discover opportunities for process, technology, product and organizational improvements, share learnings with peers and managers, socialize change and negotiate improvements on a larger scale.
Your background and skills - you have:
- 7+ years proven track record in project management or program management executing plans with little to no oversight.
- Strong familiarity with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices including experience creating playbooks and project plans.
- Accountable for end-to-end planning of one or more projects.
- Excellent facilitation skills with ability to influence change at higher levels.
- Ability to assimilate and learn complex processes in a changing and dynamic work environment on a steep learning curve.
- Demonstrated excellent writing and communication skills.
- A proven track record of working in a fast-growing and fast-moving company, able to create process and vision, rather than manage to what has already been defined.
- Experience seeing projects through the full life cycle.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and extremely resourceful.
- Proven ability to complete projects according to outlined scope, budget, and timeline.
- Ability to travel up to 50%.
If you are intrigued, please apply now!
Our work environment is highly collaborative and transparent - we believe in centralized data and decentralized decision making. We maintain high standards for our own and each other’s work and are all deeply committed to the mission - while having fun in the process.
If this sounds like you, please send along an up to date resume and/or LinkedIn profile.