Better Place Forests is completely redesigning the end-of-life experience, bringing fresh thinking and a much-needed focus on customer experience to the stale, fragmented and unfriendly end-of-life industry. As part of this effort, we’re building America’s first conservation spreading forests for families and individuals who choose cremation, offering a sustainable alternative to costly traditional burial while tackling a market opportunity >$600B in the U.S. alone.
80% of the 75M baby boomers in the U.S. are choosing cremation but do not have a beautiful, private and permanently-protected place to return their ashes to the earth. Instead of graves and tombstones, Better Place Forests incorporates ashes into the base of beautiful trees in the most iconic locations in North America. Every customer who chooses a tree helps to protect and preserve that forest forever. Through our Impact Tree program, we also plant additional trees to help with reforestation efforts.
With thousands of customers and rapid growth, Better Place Forests is creating a movement that is removing the stigma around end-of-life planning. We’re backed by the investors behind Tesla, Peloton, SpaceX and Blue Bottle and we’ve received national coverage in publications such as The New York Times, Fast Company and Business Insider. To learn more about Better Place Forests, visit www.betterplaceforests.com.
“In a time when conservation is becoming increasingly urgent, it’s rather poetic to protect a tree with your remains, secure in the knowledge that more are being planted in your honor.” - Fast Company
This role in a Nutshell:
We’re looking for an experienced, creative content strategist to position Better Place Forests as the inspiring, game-changing thought leader in the end-of-life space. In this critical role, you will be in constant ideation mode –– how do we tell the stories that embody the Better Place Forests vision, mission and purpose? What are the stories that will de-stigmatize the death space? How do we tell meaningful stories about our customers and community? Where and how will those stories show up –– editorially, digitally and in social media communities?
You will also be a key marketing leader, ensuring that we are a trusted, loved and mission-driven brand through powerful, compelling content. As the head of all content, you will be in an advantageous position to influence how Better Place Forests is perceived externally. You will ensure all the written, digital and visual work is reflected in all of our internal and external messaging. This role is an exciting opportunity to drive topics that will make a real difference for Better Place Forests and for our customers.
You are ready to not only spearhead the company’s content strategy, but also design and execute the content development process, including the research, writing, and editing of long, medium, and short content. This role also commands the strategy and deployment of the entire content calendar and strategy. Your work will range from strategizing and executing a long-term content and social media strategy and physical collateral –– providing marketing air cover and groundcover the entire company.
You are passionate about communicating with and helping real people. You know that success at a startup requires you to uphold a high-quality bar, obsess over the details, and be able to take a solution from idea to implementation on your own.
This role reports directly to the VP of Communications at Better Place Forests.
This is your opportunity to transform how people approach one of the hardest decisions they will make. If you’re passionate about our mission, join us!
On a day-to-day, you will:
- Get to the heart of what we do by owning content strategy, voice, writing, and editing of thought leadership content across all written and digital channels, including social media
- Spearhead community engagement content
- Manage entire content calendar and writing strategy
- Creatively run and re-vamp our blog and social media channels
- Strategize and create written content for various channel initiatives, including company announcements, community engagement, product launches, seasonal promotions and publishing content in collaborative effort with your colleagues
- Analyze and communicate results, including key performance metrics on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis
- Think outside the box to deliver effective messaging and compelling creative content
- Own strategy, management and execution of external agencies and outsourced writers as needed
Your background and skills - you have:
- 7-10+ years proven track record with strategic creation of multi-channel content marketing campaigns
- Demonstrated excellent writing and editing skills with a strong sense of voice
- Strong opinions about content and communication strategy and best practices
- Strong project management skills
- Ability and desire to execute plans with little to no oversight
- A proven track record of working in a fast-growing and fast-moving company, able to create process and vision, rather than manage to what has already been defined
Why Join Us:
Better Place Forests is an opportunity to do meaningful, innovative work. Our customers love us, our incredible team is growing quickly, and we have a clear mission about how to execute over the next five years. Now that we have clear product-market fit, it's about growing as quickly and responsibly as possible to provide our services to the entire country.
Our work environment is highly collaborative and transparent - we believe in centralized data and decentralized decision making. We maintain high standards for our own and each other’s work and are all deeply committed to the mission - while having fun in the process.
Better Place Forests Company Culture Highlights:
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best Company Culture 2019
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best Company for Women 2019
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best CEO 2019
- Better Place Forests is ranked in the top 5% of companies for Office Culture on Comparably.
- Operations Department is ranked in the top 5% of companies for Leadership on Comparably.
Check out our A+ Culture Score and Employee Ratings on Comparably: https://www.comparably.com/companies/better-place-forests
Employee Perk & Benefits:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Health FSA, Employee Dependent Care FSA
- Unlimited PTO
- Work from home policy
- Stocked kitchen
- Team outings
If you are intrigued, please apply now!