Better Place Forests is completely redesigning the end-of-life experience, bringing fresh thinking and a much-needed focus on customer experience to the stale, fragmented and unfriendly end-of-life industry. As part of this effort, we’re building America’s first conservation spreading forests for families and individuals who choose cremation, offering a sustainable alternative to costly traditional burial while tackling a market opportunity >$600B in the U.S. alone.
80% of the 75M baby boomers in the U.S. are choosing cremation but do not have a beautiful, private and permanently-protected place to return their ashes to the earth. Instead of graves and tombstones, Better Place Forests incorporates ashes into the base of beautiful trees in the most iconic locations in North America. Every customer who chooses a tree helps to protect and preserve that forest forever. Through our Impact Tree program, we also plant additional trees to help with reforestation efforts.
With thousands of customers and rapid growth, Better Place Forests is creating a movement that is removing the stigma around end-of-life planning. We’re backed by the investors behind Tesla, Peloton, SpaceX and Blue Bottle and we’ve received national coverage in publications such as The New York Times, Fast Company and Business Insider. To learn more about Better Place Forests, visit www.betterplaceforests.com.
“In a time when conservation is becoming increasingly urgent, it’s rather poetic to protect a tree with your remains, secure in the knowledge that more are being planted in your honor.” - Fast Company
“Tree burial is good for the environment, the location is more beautiful than a traditional graveyard — and it’s cheaper as well.” - The New York Times
The Strategy and Operations team is focused on aligning the highest-level company priorities with strong day-to-day operations. We help evolve early stage ideas into future-growth initiatives by leveraging analytics to provide business critical insights and ensure cross functional alignment of goals and execution.
This role will report to the Head of Strategy and Operations, where they will be an analytical and technical problem solver who is able to dive into unstructured environments to design solutions. They will drive analysis behind company-wide decisions and build scalable processes and systems that enable stakeholders across the business to leverage data and act upon insights.
The role is quintessentially cross-functional, requiring collaboration with all departments (marketing, sales, product & engineering, customer support, operations, finance and real estate) to understand analytics needs, prioritize competing requests, and deliver data-driven insights. A core responsibility will be to use data to empower everyone in the company, to do their jobs better.
- Build dashboards using SQL to help everyone understand key drivers and trends across the business
- Work with leadership to define, measure, and visualize company OKRs
- Work on critical projects for leadership, including evaluating strategic growth opportunities
- Collaborate cross-functionally to drive key initiatives such as process improvement and standardization, system enhancements, and data governance
- Identify opportunities for data-driven decision making
- Become the resident expert on data and analytics
- Effectively communicate with senior leaders and to help drive strategic decision making
- Bachelor’s degree in an analytical field (e.g. Business Analytics, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance or Economics)
- 2-4 years of experience in an analytics role, management consulting, or investment banking
- Proficiency in SQL and Excel
- Exceptional analytical and technical skills, with clear attention to detail
- Ability to build analyses from scratch, make well-reasoned assumptions, work with large volumes of data, and triangulate across numerous data sources
- A team player who works collaboratively and effectively across a diverse set of functions, backgrounds, and working styles
- A keen sense of ownership, drive, and scrappiness is a must
How to reach us:
Overall, our work environment is highly collaborative and transparent - we believe in centralized data and decentralized decision making. We maintain high standards for our own and each other's work and are all deeply committed to the mission - while having fun in the process.
If this sounds like you, please send along an up to date resume and/or LinkedIn profile. Reach firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.