Betterment is hiring a Software Engineer for our Internal Tools team (internally called Operational Efficiency). Our team's mission is to seek out and act on opportunities to dramatically refine or reimagine workflows and tools throughout our internal and consumer facing processes and products. We collaborate with our Customer Experience and Operations teams to tackle complex technical problems that span a diverse ecosystem of platforms and tools. When we identify an inefficient process, we do more than automate it — we innovate, so that our work delivers more value to our team and our customers.
About the right team member:
You are passionate about tackling complex business and operational problems. You believe that by leveraging technology you can empower others, both internally and externally, to be more effective and efficient. You are excited to work in an environment where you get to work with cross-functional teams that span the entire company. You thrive under pressure — concurrent projects and tight deadlines sound fun to tackle! You love to learn and to share your expertise with others in an open, collaborative environment.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, efficient workflows, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve challenging problems and change an industry while you do it.
- Take your ideas to the next level right away and see the impact you can have. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Let’s make it even better.
- Work with people who care. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and fun.
You will be effective if you have:
- 3+ years of experience building full-stack web applications
- A passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- The ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Fluency in automated testing best practices
- An appreciation for agility and thoughtful pragmatism in software development
- A strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- The ability to thrive in a startup environment
Technologies you will use:
You’ll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages and frameworks and you will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs and other protocols.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $13 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.