The Growth & Engagement team builds onboarding experiences for our customers and works hand-in-hand with our financial advisors and marketing team to ensure our customers receive personalized and timely financial advice. We communicate via email, push, and in-app messaging, building our own tooling as well as integrating with partners. As engineering manager for the team, you’ll build delightful experiences that make complex financial choices easy to understand. You will also build tools to empower your colleagues to be more effective in their work. You’ll need to leverage the entire software stack to help us realize these goals. You’ll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture, and interaction.
You will guide the team to answer questions like:
- How do we best validate our decisions through experimentation and iteration?
- How do we strike the right balance between build versus buying?
- How can we decompose long-term projects into small, releasable achievements that provide incremental value to our customers?
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to smart decisions help us to achieve it
- Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through openness. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible
- Craft efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented engineers who pride ourselves on what we do.
- We’re smart, creative, high-energy, and lots of fun
You will be effective if you have:
- Enjoy hands-on managing, mentoring, and inspiring a team of talented engineers
- Have a real passion for software engineering and building delightful experiences
- Know when to make the trade-offs required to ship without compromising quality
- Value agility and pragmatism in software development
- Have a track record of leading highly productive engineering teams
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $13 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.