Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors. Betterment also offers financial wellness solutions to small and medium-sized businesses, including 401(k) plans, and soon will launch cryptocurrency portfolios. Our growing team of 400+ is passionate about our mission to make people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, with hubs in Philadelphia and D.C, and offer in-office, hybrid, and remote working based on role and location.
About the Role:
You are eager to join a dynamic Compliance team at an innovative (FinTech) registered investment adviser and broker-dealer. You have experience supporting a cryptocurrency offering and, ideally, have anti-money laundering program experience. You thrive in an environment with efficient organization, tracking, and project management. You are intellectually curious, don’t take answers at face value, and always want to know the “why”. You have strong communication and collaboration skills, attention to detail and accuracy, a desire to iterate and build because you refuse to do things just “because that’s the way they have always been done”. You won’t accept less than a well oiled machine. You are ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work in the most exciting work environment there is!
We are looking to hire this role based in our NYC office location, where we offer hybrid working conditions.
A Day in the Life:
- Oversee the application of the Betterment Compliance program to the upcoming Betterment cryptocurrency offering.
- Provide guidance and advice on the application of laws, rules and regulations to cryptocurrencies.
- Manage the Betterment AML program on behalf of Compliance, conduct investigations into suspicious activity, and ensure appropriate regulatory reporting
- Manage and develop policies, procedures, compliance testing and training
- Monitor cryptocurrency and AML-related updates and regulatory guidance that may impact our businesses
- Help ensure that appropriate regulatory policies, procedures and controls are established, maintained and documented
- And so much more!
What We’re Looking For:
- Compliance-related experience supporting and overseeing a cryptocurrency offering (ideally through a broker-dealer or investments adviser)
- Thorough knowledge of FINRA and SEC rules and regulations governing broker-dealers, as well as AML laws, rules and regulations
- An avid interest in cryptocurrencies and the evolving cryptocurrency regulatory landscape
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to exercise sound and balanced judgment
- Works well across various business units and develop strong partnerships
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Desire to learn and have an impact quickly
- Able to read, analyze and interpret general business and technical procedures or governmental regulations.
What Being at Betterment Means for You:
Joining Betterment means belonging to a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your well-being, and continuing on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community that Cares:
- Betterment is a place to bring your whole self and make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- We will ensure you're set up and cared for with a customizable workstation, benefit packages that fit your needs (including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits), a Self Care stipend of $600 per year to invest in your wellness however you see fit, as well as additional professional development opportunity.
- You’ll have flexible paid time off, and a team that cares about you, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional allowance for outside learning.
- As part of a team that values knowledge sharing and transparency you can opt into mentoring and career coaching programs as well as weekly company meetings.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to email@example.com
What Happens Next!
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.
Come Join Us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.