Betterment is a leading, technology-driven financial services company that offers investing and retirement solutions for retail investors and investment advisors as well as financial wellness solutions, including a 401(k) for small and medium-sized businesses. Our team is passionate about our mission: making people’s lives better. We’re headquartered in NYC, and offer hybrid NY-based (three days/ week in-office) and select, non-NY-based remote positions.
About the role
As Director of Total Rewards & People Operations at Betterment, reporting to the Chief People Officer, you will play a critical role, focusing on delivering operational excellence on a day to day basis and to build a scalable, sustainable, world class HR offering. You will be a highly collaborative professional leading Total Rewards and People Operations framework. You will successfully lead the ongoing transformation of Betterment’s programs by driving the planning, vision, compliance and development of the total rewards program. Reporting to the Chief People Officer and collaborating with other senior key stakeholders, you will transform current processes and support a growing, dynamic organization. Areas of responsibilities include compensation, equity, benefits, wellness, compliance, people analytics and HRIS.
This role is based out of our NYC office. Below we've reflected the base salary range we would offer for this position. Actual salaries may vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Betterment’s total compensation package for employees.
- New York City: $165,000 - $190,000
We offer a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering with employer match as well as flexible PTO policy. This job is eligible for variable compensation in the form of a discretionary company incentive bonus.
A day in the life
- Own the development, implementation, and evolution of core programs in the employee lifecycle for seamless employee experience across payroll, benefits, onboarding and offboarding, including immigration and compliance practices and broader HR policies
- Provide operational and technology support and analyses for compensation, benefits, performance management, engagement, and recruiting
- Evaluate and effectively manage relationships with benefit providers and HR technology vendors
- Accountable for global HR system data integrity, reporting and analytics
- Recommend and implement appropriate innovative processes across the HR organization, serving as project manager for all initiatives involving HR data, systems and implementation of platforms
- Review and adapt the People Team’s service delivery structure to meet changing business needs (ie – some programs delivered centrally through the People Operations team and some through HR business partners or talent acquisition teams)
- Manage employee records and policies, implementing adequate processes and audits, in compliance with recent employment law updates (ie - national/local laws, COVID-19 updates, new hire notification requirements, labor laws, unemployment claims, records retention policies, etc)
What we’re looking for
- Relevant experience in Business, Human Resources Management, Finance, or related field
- Human Resources Leadership experience, with focus on compensation, benefits, and related functions
- Significant experience with direct focus on implementation, communication and management of Total Rewards programs, including at the executive level
- Financial ability and experience using data driven approaches to identify and implement to support work
What being at Betterment means for you
We change lives
Join a community of innovators working to transform financial outcomes for real people. Your work will make an impact, always laddering up to our mission: making people's lives better.
We set audacious goals
We set them for the company, our customers, and ourselves—and we won’t stop until we reach them. We don’t just show up; we give our all, then celebrate our wins.
We value all perspectives
When we collaborate, we're at our best. We believe diverse perspectives lead to better outcomes and strive to uphold our supportive and inclusive community.
We invest in you with:
- A competitive suite of benefits, including: medical, dental, and vision insurance; life and AD&D insurance; STD and LTD benefits, including infertility support and World Professional Association for Transgender Health approved benefits; and generous parental leave.
- Flexible paid time off (and encouragement to use it!)
- Meaningful opportunity for community building through our 6 Employee Resource Groups
- Empowerment to own and lead change and affect the business
- Dedicated professional development opportunities
- Complimentary financial advice from our team of CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERS™️
- Lunch from our in-house chef three days a week at our NYC headquarters
What happens next
We’ll take a few weeks to review all applications. If we’d like to spend more time with you, we’ll reach out to arrange next steps, which will include 3-4 sets of meetings with your future colleagues.
In the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our questions will be aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. Depending on the role, we may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, as we want to collect a robust set of data points to better inform our decisions.
On average, it takes us around 3-5 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 2-3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision. Please note that, as we usually receive an overwhelming number of applications for open positions, we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you considering Betterment as the next step in your career, and our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process!
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates upon request. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to your recruiter or email email@example.com.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.