Full Stack Engineers sit side-by-side with user experience and product management to craft our consumer-facing applications. Part of being on this team is a love for building product you’re proud to share with your friends and family. We strive for fluid, delightful user experiences. You’ll need to leverage the entire software stack to help us realize these goals, and you’ll be a part of a team that’s tackling difficult questions of scale, architecture and interaction.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to sophisticated advice.
- Solve “impossible” problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible. We already have the best UX in the business. Let’s make it even better.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through clean code, pragmatic programming, and lean engineering.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
Tackle tough business challenges:
- Integrate with real-time identity-verification services and our internal fraud-prevention system to create the fastest signup and funding process in the industry
- Work side-by-side with our investing team to build innovative, state-of-the-art financial advice algorithms, and then pair up with the design team to deliver an award-winning user experience powered by that advice
- Reinvent the financial advisor space by building next-gen customer management and analysis tools from scratch
- Partner with our retail, data and investment teams to bring Betterment's technology to a brand new market
You will be effective if you have:
- Have experience in at least one server-side language - Ruby, Java, C#, C++, Python. We build our apps in Ruby on Rails
- Have a strong command of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Have a passion for software engineering, and for creating what doesn’t exist
- Know how to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality
- Realize that automated tests are a worthwhile investment
- Appreciate agility and pragmatism in software development
- Thrive in a startup environment
Technologies you will use:
Engineering spends much of its time with the tools above, but we strive to always choose the best tool for the job. You’ll be working alongside teams that live-and-breathe a variety of languages and frameworks and will help us define the idioms to decouple systems that communicate via RESTful APIs and other protocols.
Respect software craftsmanship:
- How do we architect high-performance internal APIs using contemporary RESTful frameworks, that facilitate rapid development of lightweight experiences, tools and visualizations?
- What’s the most maintainable way to support rapid experimentation within a constantly evolving user-experience without leaving a mess of if/else statements in our wake?
- What's the simplest way to build data intensive interactive elements that can be personalized and distributed broadly through a network of content partners?
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $17 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 400,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.