About the right team member:
You are passionate about developing efficient and scalable operations. You’re not a financial analyst, yet you geek out on building a model. You’re not a lawyer, but you know how to draft a contract. You’re not in compliance, and yet talking to regulators is like your second language. You love being at the center of any issue. You thrive when leading cross-functional projects from start to finish. You know that it is more than just planning and that follow-through is everything.
You want to work at a full-stack company, where everything from customer messaging to back end processing matters, and is something you are excited to own. You love collaborating, learning and explaining complex systems to others. You naturally build and leverage your relationships to gain consensus, create process, solve problems and ultimately build a better product.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Partner cross-functionally with product and engineering to explain the ins and out of financial processes as we expand the Betterment offering.
- Create a comprehensive roadmap and strategy for the various operations teams.
- Work closely with various operational teams to develop policies and procedures to help codify and scale operations.
- Communicate to internal partners project successes, risks, and upcoming priorities.
- Work with auditors and regulators to help them understand our business and complete our exams and audits.
- Build relationships with our finance, legal, and compliance departments to escalate and resolve issues in the most efficient manner.
- Conduct due diligence on potential partners, analyze pricing, and implement new vendors across the operations landscape.
You will be effective if you have:
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience (e.g. investing, banking, or other financial services role).
- A passion for investing and a broad knowledge of the securities industry.
- Ability to draft clear policies and procedures, and apply these across disciplines on a growing team.
- Experience communicating technical concepts, questions and problems for non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to work in diverse, dynamic environment and effectively collaborate across teams.
- A healthy obsession with compliance.
- Analytical prowess with strong excel skills.
- A self-starter with meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
Bonus points if you have:
- Familiarity with programming or engineering practices.
- Experience in a fast-paced, lean startup environment.
- Background working with regulators or auditors.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 380,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.