Data Science & Analytics is one of the fastest growing teams at Betterment. We operate with a 360 degree view of the company, partnering closely with teams such as Finance, Marketing, Product, and Operations, and always with our users in mind. Our projects range from creating beautiful dashboards to developing models of user behavior. These projects deliver insights that inform product and business decisions across the company. We are looking for more thoughtful, driven, and curious people to push the business even further.
About the right team member:
At Betterment, there is nothing more important than building the best product we possibly can for our customers. Data plays a central role in how we decide what to build, how we design the customer experience, and how we monitor the performance and adoption of our products. We are looking for a talented product analyst to support these efforts. Betterment is in a growth stage and our product team’s analytics needs are fairly broad, so the work is bound to stay interesting. At any one time, projects may include working with product squads to interpret results of our A/B tests, study customer behavior, design OKRs to measure product performance, build interactive dashboards to track key metrics, and assist in fulfilling ad-hoc data requests from the product and design teams.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Partner closely with cross functional teams of product managers, engineers and designers to refine the user experience and discover opportunities for product improvements.
- Create impactful quantitative reports, dashboards and insights to provide our product team with critical information to support our decision-making process.
- Understand how customers use our product, influence the product roadmap and help monitor feature performance.
- Support ad hoc analysis requests as needed, but over time translate them into tools and metrics.
- Assist with the design, set-up and analysis of A/B tests to drive iterative improvement through efficient experimentation.
- Contribute to Betterment’s data driven culture, and influence best practices.
- Be a member of the broader data science community in NYC, staying abreast of new ideas and trends, and contributing thought leadership.
You will be effective if you have:
- 2+ years experience working in data analytics, finance or consulting.
- The ability to write SQL in your sleep.
- Experience with Python or R, along with a desire to become an expert.
- Comfort with working with large datasets.
- Passion about solving complex business problems with data and transforming analyses into concise insights and actionable recommendations.
- Self-starter mentality with a track record of completing projects with minimal guidance.
- A willingness to be flexible, prioritizing problems that are most pressing and using the most appropriate tools.
- An ability to build strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders.
- An eye for beautiful and effective data visualizations, and experience creating them programmatically.
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience in product analytics and tableau.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $15 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 370,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.