About the right team member:
You love interacting with people, and are an educator at heart. You are also a master at the art of the analogy and can explain complex concepts in easy-to-understand ways. You are the face of the company for our higher-balance customers, and relish providing them with that “wow” moment.
You are an expert in the world of personal financial planning, and enjoy learning every detail about a client's financial situation so you can help them meet their goals. You are seeking a role as a fiduciary that focuses on delivering sound financial advice, and one that puts the customer at the center of every interaction and decision. You will work closely with your teammates (our other financial planners) in providing a premium level of service to our customers on a daily basis.
You are a very strong communicator, both written and verbal, with an eye for detail, and you demonstrate quick thinking and creative problem solving. You are interested in helping to improve our product, process and customer experience. No project or request is too small for you to conquer on your own or with your team.
At Betterment you will get to:
- Conduct personal consultations with higher balance prospects/customers, providing investment, retirement and tax advice to our customers, including analyzing financial information and assisting with financial decisions to help clients plan for short and long term savings and investment goals
- Guide customers on how to use our tools and strategies in a way that best applies to their personal situation
- Deliver an above-and-beyond customer experience through multiple channels including phone, email, and mobile messaging
- Troubleshoot customer issues and concerns, investigating why they happened, and communicating with multiple teams to find rapid resolutions
- Share the voice of the customers to the broader company, offering insights to all areas of the business to help build a better product and improve company processes (e.g., website, FAQ, UI/UX, back office procedures, etc.)
- Act as an external representative of our company, offering your knowledge to various media outlets and interview opportunities
You will be effective if you have:
We are seeking candidates who exhibit a strong desire to work in a startup environment and who truly want to make a difference in the lives of our customers. Successful candidates will have:
- 2 - 4 years of relevant work experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- CFP® designation
- Prior experience working in financial services or retail banking
- Robust knowledge and familiarity with common wealth management strategies and their relative strengths and weaknesses
- Tech savvy, specifically the ability to navigate multiple complex systems simultaneously to respond to customer inquiries (CRM, portfolio manager, and other internal tools)
- Ability to understand complex financial statements and general knowledge of financial laws, insurance and legal restrictions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Creative, with a breadth of interests, and an intrinsic initiative to learn new things
- Ability to adapt and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Impressive attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills
Bonus points if you have:
- Graduate-level education or designations in a related field (CFA, CPA, etc.)
- Experience writing educational articles
- Experience in a startup environment
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $14 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 370,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.