What you can expect to work on in this role
Own all aspects of Betterment’s risk management program, including leadership in the area of information security. Identify and manage operational risks. Help to solidify and scale a security-minded culture across the company as we continue to grow. Write policy, educate the team, assess our security risks and capabilities, and roll up your sleeves and remediate where necessary. Report on risks to senior management and our Board of Directors.
Take on tough business challenges like:
- How can we use our corporate risk management program to drive business value?
- Ensuring we have the right policies, engineering capabilities, and operational practices to protect the company, foster safety and resilience in our technology operations, and comply with finance industry standards and regulations.
- Maintaining our culture of experimentation, of moving fast and releasing often, and increasing the security and safety of our systems and clients as we grow.
- Ensuring risk management processes are relevant and commensurate with the size of Betterment.
To be effective you’ll need to:
- Be passionate about information security, business continuity, privacy, fraud, and a wide variety of other operational and corporate risks facing Betterment.
- Build strong partnerships with key stakeholders in other places in the business. Key partners to this role include the Security Engineering team, and other members of the Legal and Compliance team.
- Demonstrate practical skills in the field, approaching risk management as a business enabler, not a chokepoint, while managing risk in line with our risk appetite statement.
- Manage a variety of assurance activities, including responding to customer and business partner due diligence, and an annual SOC audit, and third-party due diligence and ongoing monitoring.
- Have Experience:
- Owning a risk management framework across a financial services organization in making security and risk management relevant and resonant with individuals not as familiar with the jargon and issues;
- Helping companies develop risk management and information security processes as they grow in size and complexity;
- Designing and implementing infosec policies, standards, and process management;
- Maintaining oversight of key risks and assist teams to develop mitigation actions;
- Reporting to senior management and Board of Directors in an effective manner.
- Train the business to be a strong “first line of defense.”
- Be an excellent writer and communicator.
- Roll up your sleeves and get into the details: ripping up and reframing policies for simplicity and operational wins; defining and aligning our full stack security and governance posture; getting right in the fray with our product development team on tool choice and risk appetite trade offs, etc.
- Actively participate in the larger risk management and infosec communities: bringing the state of the art back to Betterment to incorporate into our legal, risk management, and product and engineering teams.
- Above all else, enjoy what you do, and who you do it with.
At Betterment, you’re going to…
- Build things people love. Our goal is to delight our customers whenever possible. Sleek design, simple user experience, and access to smart decisions help us to achieve it.
- Solve “impossible” problems. Take your ideas to the next level right away. We experiment, iterate, learn, and repeat.
- Collaborate, with purpose. You’ll work in small, cross-functional groups with other talented thinkers and figure out how to make Betterment’s revolutionary software even better.
- Gain trust through transparency. We believe in taking the guesswork out of investing. That means a consistent experience for our customers — you’ll build the tools to make it possible.
- Create efficiency. Our software helps customers save time and money. We maintain it through smooth processes, pragmatic programming, and lean teams.
- Work with people who care. Half of our team is made up of engineers but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
Betterment is the largest independent online financial advisor with more than $14 billion in assets under management. The service is designed to help increase customers’ long-term returns and lower taxes for retirement planning, building wealth, and other financial goals. Betterment takes advanced investment strategies and uses technology to deliver them to more than 330,000 customers across its three business lines: direct-to-consumer, Betterment for Advisors, and Betterment for Business. Learn more.
Come join us!